Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 166 22-03-2006 , 01:53 AM
Subscriber
oh great tim ...going to do a tie lmao ...make me look bad hahha please do one I would love to see it ... hehhe

# 167 22-03-2006 , 11:25 AM
don't do any tie fighters. Just finish the model and do a nice ambient occlusion render of the model on a turntable. My boss hired someone at ILM based solely on a fantastic model they did of the Millenium Falcon. Just get this looking cool and don't worry about the rest user added image

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 168 22-03-2006 , 11:30 AM
Subscriber
I have probably sent him my showreel, but no luck there for me.

My plan is to do this model, texture it (both realistically and mono tone). Then after that do some props and other things to make a mini movie out of it.

When the time comes I will look into things like ambient occlusion and other such stuff.

Knowing that thought does give me hope. user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 169 22-03-2006 , 12:44 PM
Subscriber
Hey Tim.

Just another thought of mine, do you want to become a modeller/are you applying for modelling posiitons?? If so, I would be inclined to just do as Pure_ says and do a nice occlusion render, and leave off the texturing. Untextured models rendered simply and professionally are very effective, and whats the point of doing textures unless your applying to become a texture artist? (of course, you might well be, in which case ignore me!)

Keep it up user added image

LisaG

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 170 22-03-2006 , 12:55 PM
Subscriber
I see your point, I will try that first. Im not a texture artist so that might be the best option.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 171 22-03-2006 , 01:02 PM
Subscriber
Hey Lisa,

your not looking for an assistant are you?

user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 172 22-03-2006 , 01:53 PM
19 year Veteran
If all the detail your working on are just simply micro-models inserted into the main mesh, then your going to have a major headache UV mapping. I don't reccomend texturing the Star Destroyer around that method. I agree with lisa_gonzalez and Pure_Morning, and do a nice occlusion render, and leave off the texturing.

If you model the detail from the main mesh, then texturing would be a snap.

# 173 22-03-2006 , 01:56 PM
Subscriber
This is true, but most of the detail is such that it can be auto mapped.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 174 22-03-2006 , 03:29 PM
19 year Veteran
It's still going to be a huge mess to put together. Even combining everything into one one object will be a monster of a task to sew together with automapping, unless your going to extract certain parts of the geometry, and then your still going to have quite a bit to sort out even at that.

Try automapping what you have and show us the UV layout.

EDIT: I believe I understand now how your going to automap. I remember seing a Rebel Blockade Runner done in the same fashion as your Star Destroyer. All the micro models were independently uv mapped and textured, aswell as the main mesh.

Last edited by THX1138; 22-03-2006 at 03:40 PM.
# 175 22-03-2006 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber
I can see that doing a good job of the texturing wont be a walk in the park but I can't see another way of doing it at this stage.

Im going to battle on getting on with the detail and then worry about the texturing at a later point.

Cheers for the advice thought, I will try it in due course.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 176 22-03-2006 , 03:44 PM
19 year Veteran
I just edited my last post. Best of luck with the texturing!user added image

# 177 22-03-2006 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber
Looks like I might need it.

Cheers user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 178 22-03-2006 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
i will pray for patience and for you to keep motivation and sanity ..also pray you have coffee / beer to help motivate lol

# 179 22-03-2006 , 03:50 PM
Subscriber
And regular breaks of something totaly different.

Girlfriend, film, Karate, going out with mates. Old rock/folk concert (Jethro Tull was fantastic last night)

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 180 22-03-2006 , 04:17 PM
Subscriber
How-do Tim,

how's it going? Thought I'd poke my head in and see what's going on, how was your birthday? I like how your model's looking, you're storming through the detail I can see how it may seem at times that there's no end in sight!

It is going to be great to see your model in a little mini movie all textured up but I can't help swaying towards Lisa and Alans point of view that if you're applying for modelling jobs then give them a nicely rendered beautifully detailed plain model. Sometimes the tiny details can get lost if the texture's not good enough and that would be a disaster.

I wish I could go to concerts, the last gig I went to was the super furry animals 2 years ago!!

Take it easy,

Mat.