Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 18-11-2002 , 09:53 PM

How would you model Monster Inc.'s Mike?

Hi!
I would like to model monsters. inc.'s Mike(the green one withe the big eye) with polies, but I'm not sure how to start and what would be the best way to do it. I was thinking of starting with a polygonal sphere which should be the body and from which I create arms and legs by extruding some faces( like box-modelling...). Maybe someone of you has some tips for me on how to achieve my goal:
a fully animatable Mikeuser added image

CU morpher

Last edited by .:morpher:.; 18-11-2002 at 10:22 PM.
# 2 18-11-2002 , 10:04 PM
Subscriber
actually, that would be really easy. =]

Start with a sphere (decent high count) and then just extrude faces for legs, extrude faces for arms, and delete some faces for the eye. The hardest part will be makin the eyelid. =]

- Chris L. Harkins -
# 3 20-11-2002 , 01:52 AM
Subscriber
and by the way,, sub'ds would be more easier..

tariq

# 4 22-11-2002 , 05:04 AM
Subscriber
Yeah, I'd use Sub-d's too! You also get a way better closeup result than using polys.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 5 22-11-2002 , 07:26 AM
Subscriber

Nurbs

Or start modeling Mike with Nurbs...Legs, Head...(wich is also the body)..make all fillets, and then convert to poly's....cut out the holes for the legs and the arms....connect the arms and legs to the body, and finally convert to subD's...that's the way I would have done it

# 6 22-11-2002 , 05:01 PM
Subscriber
ok, a very easy, yet very effective way for making an eye, listen and learn :p:
build a nurbs sphere, click show manipuators, open up the input connection and snap the direction (top set of arrow) so it faces the z direction. you do this so texturing would be a lot easier, so open hypershade, create a ramp shader and attach it to the sphere. make sure the ramp shader is a U ramp because otherwise your manipulator moving would have been pointless user added image now you can see its startin to look like an eyeball, just change the colours of the ramp shader and thats ur eye, you can make it better, thats just the basics
for the eyeLID, create another sphere over ur eyeball, but add 0.1 to the scale of it in all directions. and thats ur eyelid user added image well, nearly. give it another shader and colour it how you want.
now if you look at the wireframe of ur new nurbs sphere, you should see one of the isoparms is thicker user added image some of u no where this is going user added image
show the manipulators of this, and snap the handles in to direction -X so that thick isoparm runs across the front of your eyeball user added image
with your input connections still open, all you do now is do some set driven key on 2 attributes called "Start Sweep" and "End Sweep" if you change those 2 values, you have a blinking eye user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 7 26-11-2002 , 12:58 AM
Subscriber
SWEET! I'll have to remember that.

If you want a really real looking eye (with muscle fibres in the iris, etc) you could create a planar UV map for the sphere, download a good looking (high-res with lots of detail) picture of an eye, and then carefully apply it to your map. It wouldn't matter that the texture appears on both the front and back of the eye, because you never see the back!! This is great coz it means that you don't even have to think about remapping your verts!!

Stargate rocks!!

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 8 26-11-2002 , 01:18 AM
THX for all your tips! I will start tomorrow with the modelling and you can follow the steps in the W.I.P. session.

CU morpher
# 9 26-11-2002 , 02:00 AM
Subscriber
great!!!! i would really like to know how you "realistic" you could get.

# 10 26-11-2002 , 06:29 PM
Subscriber
Stargate is ok, SG-1 rocks!! user added image
make sure you post on ur progress as u make this d00d user added image we'd love to see him

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com