Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 61 28-10-2011 , 06:07 PM

FrankWires

Figured I would post some wires since I rarely do past that other one. These are just basic edge flow and need many more specialized loops to throw into FR or I won't get deformations that I want. The downside to FR is that you are left with more poles on the face but that is the only way to wrap with the soft tissue regions. Head comes in at about 1,300 polys...

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Last edited by Chavfister; 28-10-2011 at 06:10 PM.
# 62 09-11-2011 , 09:00 PM
Just a sculpt done out of boredom today. Haven't been on Zbrush in a while. Mostly been fudging around in MySQL.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 11-11-2011 at 12:05 AM.
# 63 22-11-2011 , 01:31 AM

Jays Hand Tut

Got some inspiration to do something the "Jay Way" and made this hand after dinner. The topo is at one subdiv level so the true geo isn't that dense. I would have had the damn thing done a while ago but C4D crashed and made me restart because the idiot that I am forgot to save....

Proportions need some work but I was more interested in the flow he used initially and that I came up with after watching the videos then doing it on my own with his guidance...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 22-11-2011 at 01:43 AM.
# 64 22-11-2011 , 09:31 AM
The thin red line
I think hands can be tricky to get right, Ive not done one yet that I have been happy with are you going to put this into zbrush?...............dave

# 65 29-11-2011 , 01:44 AM
@Dave. Don't know if I will take it into ZBrush or not. I mean most things I just retopo anyways so maybe just as a examination of the hand at most.

Here is a sculpt I pumped out after getting back from Virginia Beach today. Labyk told me he wanted to see a santa sculpt a while back so I started on this one today. Kinda just going for a hobo cartoony santa look.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Last edited by Chavfister; 29-11-2011 at 03:17 AM.
# 66 29-11-2011 , 01:46 AM
Noober than noob

@Dave. Don't know if I will take it into ZBrush or not. I mean most things I just retopo anyways so maybe just as a examination of the hand at most.

Here is a sculpt I pumped out after getting back from Virginia Beach today. Labyk told me he wanted to see a santa sculpt a while back so I started on this one today. Kinda just going for a hobo cartoony santa look.

Lol a one toothed Santa. Looks pretty scary at the moment. O.o

# 67 29-11-2011 , 09:43 PM

Minor Update

The one tooth wasn't workin for me. Painted a eye and added some temp brows. He still looks scary/ surprised but the ref I used had that look to a certain degree. With and without teeth. Which one looks better?

Attached Images

Last edited by Chavfister; 30-11-2011 at 12:52 AM.
# 68 29-11-2011 , 10:20 PM
Noober than noob

The one tooth wasn't workin for me. Painted a eye and added some temp brows. He still looks scary/ surprised but the ref I used had that look to a certain degree. With and without teeth. Which one looks better?

I like this one with the teeth.
Also, he looks a bit more cheerful now.

# 69 30-11-2011 , 09:05 PM

Blah

This guy is gonna have some gear on his head but for the moment I am just trying to capture the form. In the concept he has a eyepiece that goes to the head and over to the ear. Probably gonna do that in C4D seeing as how I kind of hate hard surface past plates in ZBrush...

It is amazing as to how I do more sculpts I realize that a head usually is defined characteristically by the nose. It is the "I" beam of the face in my opinion. Crazy how that one piece dominates the whole landscape....

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 30-11-2011 at 09:20 PM.
# 70 30-11-2011 , 11:25 PM
The thin red line
If that f***** comes down my chimney I will be looking for my 12 bore.........LOL.....dave

# 71 01-12-2011 , 01:09 AM

retopo

Well I did a quick retopo on this guy prior to doing much else. Took me 10 minutes to retopo him at 110 quads (image shown is a subdiv preview in topogun and about half of those are in the ears alone). Trying to keep it low for game engines just to stay in practice. The topo isn't my most perfect but I am simply going for speed at the moment...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 01-12-2011 at 04:16 AM.
# 72 01-12-2011 , 01:14 PM
Noober than noob

Well I did a quick retopo on this guy prior to doing much else. Took me 10 minutes to retopo him at 110 quads (image shown is a subdiv preview in topogun and about half of those are in the ears alone). Trying to keep it low for game engines just to stay in practice. The topo isn't my most perfect but I am simply going for speed at the moment...

O.O Those teeth look creepy, but very realistic too. Did you make them or the game maker generates them?
Is the guy a villain?

# 73 01-12-2011 , 04:08 PM

Answers

Well,

The teeth are just a temp sculpt in ZBrush as place holders until I bring in some others and actually hvae a lower and upper set. You just sculpt a mouth and flatten the inner section and extract off that selection to get the positioning (Cesar Decol does this over at Gnomon which is where I mostly do my training). They have been painted a bit and have the material setting of toyplastic set to them. I saw a tutorial a while back and this is what they did to give them this glossy wet look. Works really good.

As for the character I am hoping to either throw him in a boxing or tennis game as a character. He would drift to the evil side, you are correct. The biggest problem I face at the moment is that I like Unity's pipeline and how it can take FBX really nicely but it also handicaps me in tri count. I know Unity quite well and it does an excellent job at porting to diff consoles but it does lack in quality which is something that makes me cringe....

Attached Images

Last edited by Chavfister; 01-12-2011 at 04:11 PM.
# 74 01-12-2011 , 04:16 PM
Noober than noob

Well,

The teeth are just a temp sculpt in ZBrush as place holders until I bring in some others and actually hvae a lower and upper set. You just sculpt a mouth and flatten the inner section and extract off that selection to get the positioning (Cesar Decol does this over at Gnomon which is where I mostly do my training). They have been painted a bit and have the material setting of toyplastic set to them. I saw a tutorial a while back and this is what they did to give them this glossy wet look. Works really good.

As for the character I am hoping to either throw him in a boxing or tennis game as a character. He would drift to the evil side, you are correct. The biggest problem I face at the moment is that I like Unity's pipeline and how it can take FBX really nicely but it also handicaps me in tri count. I know Unity quite well and it does an excellent job at porting to diff consoles but it does lack in quality which is something that makes me cringe....

I wonder if it's possible to make teeth like those in Maya... There's Maya Artisan, but not sure if it works same as Zbrush's sculpting since I never used Zbrush. All I know is that it can deform meshes as if modeling clay.

I think boxing would fit him. X)) Ding! Enter the beast! Lol O.o

# 75 01-12-2011 , 04:39 PM
btw I forgot to mention the structure of the teeth. When you model teeth just make sure the count goes as follows.There are 4 incisors, 2 canines, 4 premolars, and 6 molars. They are the same count for both the bottom and the top just the bottom being more narrow...

Last edited by Chavfister; 01-12-2011 at 05:03 PM.