Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-01-2004 , 12:06 PM
Subscriber

Animating extrusions

In all the maya literature it says that almost every node is animatable. I have been trying to create a simple animation of a sphere that slowly changes shape as I extrude vertecies. the problem is, when I key the sphere go forward in the timeline, extrude the vertecie, then key again, when I go back to the first frame the vertex is still estruded. I have tried keying the shpere, and keying the indevidual verteces but nothing seems to be working.

# 2 27-01-2004 , 12:13 PM
I'm not sure if you can key individual vertices... youd be better off using a deformer or an animated displacement map i think.

What exactly do you want to achieve?

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 27-01-2004 , 12:27 PM
Subscriber
I was really just playing around, but if you extrude the top virtex of a sphere twice, then select the ring of vertices around the newley created spike and extrude each of those several times, the effect has a very interesting, surreal robitic probe kind of look. I was interested in seeing if I could create a smooth transition from the perfect sphere to the tweeked design.

# 4 27-01-2004 , 12:52 PM
blend shapes are probably the way you want to go then not keying them. Duplicate the original sphere and then move the points to where you want them and then use blend shapes to mix between the two.

That should work

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 27-01-2004 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber
thanks, I'll give it a try.