Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-01-2007 , 03:55 AM

workflow in maya

Hi,

I am looking for a proper wrokflow in maya. I have read some tutorials. i have seen some tutorilas. even though i am not able to get the idea about the workflow in maya.

i have started creating a character. I almost finished the body of the character. now coming to clothing, i created an underwear type of thing and i want to attatch that to the body. i hope u r following.

so what should be better done for attatching. is it better to use polygons>combine . or to group those things together. or make the body parent to the underwear thing.

first i`ve tried to combine those two things, but it was problem during texturing. when i group those things will it be a problem during rigging. i am breaking my head for a solution.

Please help me.

# 2 23-01-2007 , 06:36 AM
Subscriber
I would polygon>Combine, then delete the underlying geometry that will not be seen, and merge the verts connecting legs, midrift, torso to the underwear. Shouldn't effect the texturing issues at all provided you have correctly layed out your uvs.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 3 23-01-2007 , 08:54 AM
if it is a short like or a skirt like thing then what is better to be done. an underwear is very small thing.merging vertices is a good idea.it will be difficult for a skirt like or short like one.

# 4 23-01-2007 , 09:39 AM
Subscriber
Really depends on what you're wanting to do with the model, and how high poly you want it. Modelling legs right to the groin could be a pretty pointless excerise and a waste of polys if you're modelling for a game for example, but only if in the game you're not going to see 'under' the skirt.

In answer to your original question, there is no exactly 'correct' workflow. Across 10 modellers you might find they all tackle a problem differently, but get equally good / bad results. You really just have to see what you prefer doing. You'll settle into it once you've practiced enough.

# 5 24-01-2007 , 06:01 PM
i am really a beginner. so it is best to experiment all the ways and find the ways which yeild good results.

Thanks for the advice guys.

i just want to ask you are there any more ways for to go through the problem other than the ways told by me.