Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 46 09-10-2011 , 10:00 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Cheers Rick

I've already started on the nose, cutting out the holes for the propeller, just going to do one then replicate around, not going to do that 4 times lol.

will post later
Jay

# 47 11-10-2011 , 07:46 PM
Nose Cone, no flake though LOL

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 48 11-10-2011 , 08:01 PM
Looks good Jay but does the opening fit that tightly to the blade shaft? I was to lazy to go look at a reference but it seems that the blade would be unable to rotate and change its pitch with such a form fitting opening.

The topology is excellent though.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 49 11-10-2011 , 08:09 PM
Well I answered my own question and it appears the opening is not just a circular opening around the propeller shaft. I am surprised to see how little the prop pitch can actually change.

The difference between feathered, Cruise, and Climb pitch is very small compared to the small competition aerobatic aircraft I have been in.

BTW I found a really good reference image for you. Especially for the blown canopy detail here

https://www.ivyandmartin.demon.co.uk/..._cd_sample.htm

The model is going to look awesome especially when you texture it. Can I talk you into texturing my F8F when it's ready?

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 11-10-2011 at 08:36 PM.
# 50 11-10-2011 , 08:31 PM
Hey Rick

Thanks matey. Yeah I had to look at several pics too just in case I had a custom ref pic but they are all pretty standard. Probably why this thing was so damn good....

haha yeah Ferocious Frankie -thanks mate, I have a few of that one already but thats a big image LOL. The other one to look up is ' Big Beautiful Doll' - looks amazing. I just bought a Revell P51 Kit too of a P51 called 'Cookie' for reference off ebay, going to paint it up first before assembling.

Yeah I'll have a look at your F8F if you like....

cheers
Jay

# 51 11-10-2011 , 08:41 PM
Thanks Jay. I definitely want to give texturing a go. I am pretty sure I can figure out the base painting. It's the details like weathering and bump and specular where I do not really have the digital painting knowledge. Hand me a real airbrush and paint brush for dry brushing (I used to build 1/48th scale WWII plastic aircraft kits when I was a kid) and I am fine but put me into photoshop and I am like rainman.

Last edited by ctbram; 11-10-2011 at 08:49 PM.
# 52 11-10-2011 , 09:00 PM
haha, its no different, theres just no smell of thinners and paint wafting around in PS. I'd use hi res textures off the real thing and project it all on anyway. Its pretty easy, take the plunge mate. If you get stuck Im around......

Jay

# 53 11-10-2011 , 09:13 PM
Awesome! That is what I was hoping for.

# 54 11-10-2011 , 09:15 PM
Lifetime Member
Looking really neat Jay...wish I had more time for my Spitty...I feel Im lagging in the run here LOL. I could be wrong but compared to the ref your non flaked nose cone looks a littl elongated? or is it the angle you took the screen grab?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 55 11-10-2011 , 09:42 PM
Hey Bullet

Cheers, It could well be too long, but the prob is it lines up with the orthos, which may not be correct. Good shout mate.

Looking at the ref CTBram has posted and this one below does make it shorter.....This is a case of badly drawn blueprints by the look of it.

cheers for that mate

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 56 11-10-2011 , 09:55 PM
The thin red line
I think that is a main problem of getting true blueprints, most of the ones I see are for models that are scale 1:72..............dave

# 57 11-10-2011 , 09:55 PM
Yeah having looked again, I've adjusted that back now, looks better.

Thats kind of crap really on the orthos -if this was for work on a job it would be embarassing...I'm so bloody minded when it comes to references, its so necessary in this industry especially for real world stuff.

anyway onwards, going to recheck the dimensions again because Ive built this in actual feet according to it wiki sizes......what is a man to do!!

Jay

# 58 11-10-2011 , 10:18 PM
Right then. Just did a bit of research on the nose cone dimensions.

As it turns out a shorter nose cone on a P51 means its probably off a different model because the earlier versions had a shorter nose cone due to the fact of the carburettor being located above the engine. However the longer cone is from the P51d because the carburettor was then mounted below (small scoop at the base of the prop)

Hopefully that clears it up..... But I'll see once I get the propeller on to finalise that.

check out the images...

Jay

Attached Images
# 59 11-10-2011 , 10:20 PM
Lifetime Member
ahhhh so there was a reason behind...well done Jay on the research. Sorry mate didnt mean to cause a kafuffle LOL...one thing I do have MOST of the time is an eye for scale...comes with my job...sigh.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 60 11-10-2011 , 10:31 PM
Dude, no no, dont worry at all, its all worth checking out. But I'll double check once the blades are in anyway. Big thanks. The plane was the right length and height etc thankfully.

Aside though, just reading about Chuck Yaeger, flew P51s in WW2 and shot down 11 and a half germans including a 262....great read here: https://acepilots.com/usaaf_yeager.html

cheers for now
Jay