Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 25-11-2004 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber

Map descriptions, please!

After reading a little on Normal Mapping, I've come across a lot of different terms, such as Displacement maps.

I think I've got an idea of how normal maps basically works, but how about displacement maps? From what I've figured out, it seems like it does kinda the same thing as a bump or normal map, but I figure there has to be some kind of difference... Could someone please try to explain a little about the differences between these, and maybe some of the other maps I've missed?

-Blomkaal

# 2 26-11-2004 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber
I don't really know about the normal maps, but bump and displacment maps I can help shed a little light on.

Bump maps create an illusion of depth. They produce changes in colour to create shadows and highlights without actually having any real geomtery.

Displacment maps do actually produce a geometry change, it can be considered that its a map to push and pull vertices along the normal axis. I'm not sure exactly but i think it also works a little like sub-d levels as well. If a model doesn't have dense enough geometry to undergo the change, extra geometry is added in that area.

Maya help has a little section on it, which is practically where i got this from check it out under the tex and rendering section I think.

# 3 26-11-2004 , 05:27 AM
Subscriber
Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for! user added image Keep 'em coming user added image

-Blomkaal