Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 21-04-2009 , 05:17 PM

can't edit polygon cylinder vertices!

I have Maya 2009. I created a polygon cylinder and am trying to squeeze the center vertices in. I turn on component mode and i can see all the vertices, but it won't let me select the ones i want. It highlights the whole cylinder and won't let me manipulate individual vertices.

i've tried everything. i've tried making a new cylinder. i've selected, deselected, right clicked. Every i do it selects the whole thing and won't let me select individual vertices.

Is there a setting i need to turn on or off? My friend also has Maya 2009 and he can edit polygon vertices no problem, right in front of me. I can't! What's going on?

# 2 21-04-2009 , 06:27 PM
The Nurb Herd
have you tried that selecting the vertices trick?

# 3 21-04-2009 , 08:40 PM
not sure what that is. but nothing has worked.

# 4 21-04-2009 , 08:56 PM
The Nurb Herd
sorry i was just being silly because you had 5 or 6 threads with the same thing.

ummm... why not post a screenshot.

# 5 21-04-2009 , 09:45 PM
Subscriber
are you in vertex selection mode with soft selection off? (hit b to toggle soft selection)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 21-04-2009 , 09:52 PM
i'm pressing b but nothing is happening. where is the soft selection tool?

# 7 21-04-2009 , 09:55 PM
Subscriber
in the tool's attributes, its a feature of the selection, translate, rotate and scale tool

do what hammer said and post a screen shot

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 8 21-04-2009 , 10:00 PM
i'm new to maya and cant find the tool attributes. can you post a link directory? also, here's a screenshot. again, when i click and drag over the vertices nothing happens. i cant manipulate anything.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 21-04-2009 , 11:06 PM
EduSciVis-er
You can get the tool attributes by double-clicking the tool in the left toolbar. Alternatively you can click the box in the upper right corner in between the attributes button and the channel box button.
(I think that's correct, someone jump in if I'm on the wrong track)
You might see some setting that's off, but that's as much as I can help you with.

# 10 21-04-2009 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber
what stwert said

btw, are you actually in vertex selection mode? (i dont' have maya in front of me so i can't see what happens to the icons at the top)

hold down right click without holding any keys and then select vertex

also... on an offtopic note
see on the left there there is that little black arrow?
click that and there should be an option to show the shelf's tabs so then you get a whole lot of tabs above your shelf and it makes it easier to change between shelves.
i would screen shot you but as i said, i dont have maya in front of me, the option might also be in the display menu of the program

# 11 22-04-2009 , 12:33 AM
thanks everyone. the problem is i've done the right click onto vertex already. and to no avail. i havent tried changing the tool attributes yet, but everything else has failed. i just can select the freakin vertices, its so frustrating.

# 12 22-04-2009 , 12:35 AM
EduSciVis-er
Have you tried making a different object like a cube or something? Or opened a new file?

# 13 22-04-2009 , 12:36 AM
believe me i've tried that. i've opened a new file, restarted maya, remade a cylinder, then a cube. But for some reason when i make a polygonal shape i just cant adjust the vertices. i'm wondering if there is a preference i have turned on or something that is locking something. sheesh.

# 14 22-04-2009 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber

# 15 22-04-2009 , 07:25 PM
Subscriber
Did you put the object in a layer? When it is then check that the layer is not in reference mode.
If the object was selected when you turned the layer to reference mode you still were able to rightclick the object and select vertex but after that you can't select any vertices.