Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 30-07-2003 , 03:32 AM

A question before a question....

I have Maya 5.0 and I have a million questions since I am a real newb on 3d rendering. But I will search the forums for those.

I do however have a question on hardware. Heres mine:

1.4 AMD processor
20 gig hardrive
256 PC 130 ram
DVD-RAM drive 5.2 gig disks
CD-RW
Creative live X-Gamer 4.0 sound
19" monitor
blah blah blah

I have alot of slow down which I atribute to the low amount of ram I have and aside from the small amount of hardrive space what system specs. would you guy recomend for using maya or any other 3d program?

# 2 30-07-2003 , 10:42 AM
i recomend a fresh clean windows XP install... in a new partition(maybe in another higher capacity disk?) so that you can have a windows for maya and another for other things on the same computer...)

When you install programs they mess with the registry and make you slow (the more programs intalled the slowest the pc... sad but true)

The graphics card is pretty the most impotant thing for working with maya (when you render you dont care 3 seconds more for a frame because you have a 1500 mhz instead of a 2000mhz... but when you are working with the model it sucks working at 1fps...)

On a fresh XP install you should be fine on realtime if you dont use ultra-hi poly scenes... (200000+ or so, then you should notice slowdowns...)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Grrr,(envy)DVDrewritable....

Last edited by dragonfx; 30-07-2003 at 11:28 AM.
# 3 02-08-2003 , 05:35 AM

WinXP for maya

I donĀ“t think Windows XP is as stable as Windows 2000. And your Maya crashes sometimes in WinXP. But if you just want your pc (and maya) to become faster with the newest Hardware you should use WinXP. But I prefer to have both installed. When your Win2k slows too much down you still can use winXP.

# 4 02-08-2003 , 07:47 AM
Subscriber

Re: A question before a question....

Originally posted by gilbildygook
I have Maya 5.0 and I have a million questions since I am a real newb on 3d rendering. But I will search the forums for those.

I do however have a question on hardware. Heres mine:

1.4 AMD processor
20 gig hardrive
256 PC 130 ram
DVD-RAM drive 5.2 gig disks
CD-RW
Creative live X-Gamer 4.0 sound
19" monitor
blah blah blah

I have alot of slow down which I atribute to the low amount of ram I have and aside from the small amount of hardrive space what system specs. would you guy recomend for using maya or any other 3d program?

Sorry your system wont run it,, your just goina have to give your 5.0 to me now...user added image user added image user added image

yea your going to have to get a little more Ram in the baby to render out faster. just another 256 should do it. and if you can go to a AMD 2100 wouldent hurt ether..