Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-05-2013 , 10:08 PM

mia_exposure_photographic

Hi guys, im really desperate first question does the attached image look realistic?, secondly how do i get raid of the circular spots?, im using mia_exposure_photographic lens with physical sun and shy plus a point light with a photon emition of 800.

Guys i really need to get this done cos im waaaay pass the submission timeuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-05-2013 , 03:37 AM
Technical Director
You need to up the number of final gather rays in the render globals.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 03-05-2013 , 07:03 AM
thanks man but u didn't answer the first question. Is this image realistic?

# 4 03-05-2013 , 07:36 AM
Technical Director
It looks too perfect to me. There are no scratches on the chrome, and the mirror doesn't seem to be reflecting anything. Also, it's not a great composition, as I can't figure out if we're looking through glass into the room, we're in a shower, etc. It's close, but not quite there yet in my eyes. It's the small stuff that makes things look realistic. They also take 99% of the time. Are you using ambient occlusion? It might help a bit to darken the corners of the room.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 03-05-2013 at 07:39 AM.
# 5 03-05-2013 , 09:41 AM
Lifetime Member
Nice idae mate, I think we are in the shower ND or the other side of it. I think its too perfect as well, looks too shiny etc etc. There seems to be a patch of tiles missing under the shelf? Interiors are hard man.....keep going.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 03-05-2013 , 05:43 PM
Hi by increasing the number of final gather ray did you mean the final gather tracing in the render setting?

# 7 03-05-2013 , 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
He means increase the Final Gathering accuracy. If you have to increase it too much and it's killing your render times, you could decrease it and set the Filter to 1 as a start to get rid of the speckles.

The scale seems off, I think its the toilet, it looks huge in comparison to everything else.

There are some things going on that's stopping it from being realistic and it mostly concerns the shaders:

1. The metal/mirror as ND said. I don't know what its reflecting, too many mysterious white spots and others have razor sharp reflections. The shelf shader is a bit ambiguous, is it plastic, is it wood, I don't know.

2. The glass is very clear, almost surreal. Do you have it set to be 100% transparent?

3. Are the shaders gamma corrected?

- Genny