Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 29-01-2014 , 08:45 PM

ncloth shader problem

I exported a character into maya, turned it into ncloth and all the textures/shaders vanish off the character. I know that when the original mesh changed to ncloth a separate mesh is made. I tried manually switching all the shader nodes from the input mesh to the output mesh with the node editor, but that gave me the same complete black render. I also tried duplicating special with inputs, the original mesh and turning that into ncloth then moving the original to take the place of the output by using the node editor. That gave me the shaders back, but the physics did not work, and animation became all weird. Does anyone know how to have a ncloth mesh keep the textures/shaders from the input mesh?
Thanks

# 2 30-01-2014 , 11:57 AM
Generally you don't simulate the same geometry as the render mesh. Create a proxy version of the cloth or object you're trying to simulate (cloth simulation is in nCloth is sensetive to topology and resolution of you're mesh to this is crucial). Then simulate that and use the wrap deformer to influence your render mesh with your simulation.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 31-01-2014 , 02:37 AM
Not sure how you create a proxy. I did try creating a duplicate and cutting down the faces with reduce from 20k to around 5k, and following what you said about wrapping it to the original, but that proved quite slow in terms of performance. In terms of proxy all i could find out about it was increasing the faces.
Thanks for the help tho, it is appreciated, gave me some good ideas on some other stuff.

# 4 31-01-2014 , 10:07 AM
Just make the proxy by hand, it should be single sided ( thickness is a paintable attribute ) and made of clean quads. There is no automatic way to compute this with maya.

The wrap deformer shoudl be reasonably fast to be honest, though there is no need to calculate it in real time since you can just cache the wraped render geomtry for rendering after doing all of your simulation work.

FX supervisor - double negative