Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 30-04-2004 , 04:15 PM

Combining Polys makes them all square!

Im a complete Maya newbie, I've been following the Simple dog tutorial, and so far up until this point, its been going lovely. I just mirrored the other half of the dog, and now when I go to Polygons, combine, it turns my whole dog into a bunch of rectangular shapes!. I'm pretty sure ive been doing this exactly as the instructor says, and i can not figure out the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

# 2 30-04-2004 , 04:49 PM
The Maya Mountain
Possibly could try freezing transformations, deleting history.

# 3 30-04-2004 , 06:35 PM
sorry Mike, but im still really new with the software options and what not, how can i freeze transformations?

# 4 30-04-2004 , 06:57 PM
Lifetime Member
top of the UI under the tab marked "modify" should be the the third option down.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 30-04-2004 , 08:27 PM
ok i tried that and it still did not change, let me be a little more specific. It pretty much turns every round edge on the dog, to a square edge. Also, on the tutorial it says that after cutting the dog, in the "outliner" window, i should have another modify called, subdtes. i dont have that, i only the polycube 1, and thats what i mirrored.

# 6 30-04-2004 , 08:47 PM
ugh.. i think ive found my problem... when i was using the split polygon tool across the head, i didn have a straight even line,which cause a small slice in the top of the head. IS THERE A WAY TO DELETE A LINE THAT WAS ALREADY CREATED FROM THE SPLIT POLYGON TOOL?

# 7 30-04-2004 , 09:20 PM
Lifetime Member
If you want to delete it imediately after creating it you can hit backspace, if it's an already existing line right click on the object and select edge mode by clicking on edge at the top of the marking menu, then select the line you want to delete and go to the edit polygons tab and select delete edge.
Hope that helps.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 8 30-04-2004 , 09:22 PM
The Maya Mountain
maybe an image of what's going on might help.

# 9 30-04-2004 , 09:56 PM
ok heres a screen shot on the step that i think im screwed up on, i typed a brief note on the image which should explain.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 30-04-2004 , 09:58 PM
The Maya Mountain
Hmm, 'fraid I've not done that tutorial yet... nor do I mess much with SubDs.

Have you perhaps tried Display > Show > All?

Maybe it's hidden?

# 11 30-04-2004 , 10:05 PM
mike.. your the man. it was under the "show" title menu. Now its worked!!!. thank you!. guess its the price i pay for not knowing jack about this software.