Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 01-12-2004 , 02:47 AM

human modelling problems

hey guys, in about 4 months time, im going to be entering a maya contest with a partner, im going to model while he animates, however, i have almost NO practice with human models and have never made one successfully, this is what i have so far, but i need some help, please give me some pointers, or if i took the wrong approach entirely, thanx.

Attached Images

Last edited by Kalzenith; 01-12-2004 at 03:07 AM.
# 2 01-12-2004 , 03:53 AM
Well, it looks to me like you have a pretty good start for someone without much practice in organic modeling. My first question to you should be, is that mesh smoothed, or is that the way you modeled it? If it's not smoothed, that's your first problem. if smoothed, you could have a pretty good place to start. Your torso looks like it could be more of a muscular body, so you definatley need to pull your verts and edges in to give some more definition. I would highly recomend looking through some good anatomy books though. For modeling, it's best to run your edges through the body, just like the muscles flow through your body. But it looks like you have the right idea. I think if you flow the edges, that's going to help you a heck of a lot. Keep us posted.

# 3 01-12-2004 , 09:08 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
KaMaKaZ!

Dude, its way too dense. I would start again with a lot less polys, you'll get where you need to go alot faster then.

_J

# 4 01-12-2004 , 09:41 PM
Subscriber
I agree with Jango (hard not to really user added image) My models only start to have that many polygons after a smooth, sometimes two.

The real trick to modelling is to do what you need to do with as little polycount as possible, and let the maya smoothing routines finish the job, or even to go into sub-d's and fine tune there.

The actual proportions and details aren't looking bad for a first model, nice one. If you want some idea on how to make efficent use of poly's, check out some of the modelling tuts here on simplymaya. If you don't want to buy points, then the cartoon dog tut is always a good place to start.

Best of luck to you.

# 5 01-12-2004 , 11:20 PM
hey guys, id just like to let you know that the reason its dense, is because i used the sculpt polygons tool, im not sure if ill have alot of time at the competion to get very meticulous, does anyone know a relatively efficient way to make organic models? we have 2 days in order to model skin and animate the whole thing, so i think i shouldnt spend more than an maybe 2 hours on a single model considering i need to create the environment as well

# 6 02-12-2004 , 12:18 AM
Subscriber
2hrs! uv got to be nuts. The most efficient way to make 3d models is to use a 3d modelling program like maya. Its as simple as that. Its a matter of learning the process, and theres no cheats or everyone wud be at it. The common method seems to be using split polygon tool. start simple and build detail. In a short time span uv got to be choosy of the detail u use as well. Look to textures to make up the loss.

If u want to see quick efficient model then invest some money in kurts ninja tutorial. Then simplify the design and go from there.

And u haven't even started face modelling yet, if u expect to do that in 2hrs along with a body ur screwed, IMHO.

Best of luck with that. If u pull it off let me know the secret formula.

# 7 02-12-2004 , 01:09 AM
Wow, 2 hours to model a character. I'd say the first thing you need to do, is come up with a SIMPLE character design. Stay away from muscle bound characters, and stick with cartoon style characters. Take a look through Walt Behrnes web site at www.polyextrude.com. Most of his stuff is high res, high detail, but he has some really cool cartoon style models that you should look at.

# 8 02-12-2004 , 01:33 AM
your probably right, 2 hours is insane to make a good model, so how about this sort of thing? (its a model of GIR from the cartoon Invader Zim) by the way, i have a relatively Noobish problem; every time i click on an object, it automatically set it to vertex, or faces, i dont remember how to set it to simply be selected.

Attached Images

Last edited by Kalzenith; 02-12-2004 at 01:44 AM.
# 9 02-12-2004 , 01:49 AM
Hit F8.

# 10 02-12-2004 , 01:54 AM
it didnt seem to work, what version are you running? or would it matter? im using 5.0

# 11 02-12-2004 , 02:27 AM
It doesn't matter. Check to make sure you have select by object box checked, and not the select by componet type.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 02-12-2004 , 02:40 AM
thanx for the help, and does anyone know where i can get a tutorial on combining objects and smoothing them out to look organic? you can see what problem im talking about on ther first image i posted here, the arm isnt integrating properly andi dont know what to do

# 13 02-12-2004 , 08:44 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude

If you only have 2 hrs to do it, why are you wasting valuable time and posting every so often, get in there get it done then show something. If its a case of not knowing stuff I would have got myself more time and alot less pressure.

Just some thoughts
_J

# 14 02-12-2004 , 10:39 AM
Subscriber
It is 4 months away Jango, this is a guy whos got time, but u do really need to start getting your hands dirty. Get the free cartoon dog tut, and look at the other free tuts. Have fun.

# 15 02-12-2004 , 01:40 PM
yea, ive been downloading the tutorial, i just have one part left to go, so ill start it dling and head off to school now, where i shall learn stuff that im going to forget right after mid terms. thanx for all the help guys.