Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 76 18-11-2005 , 06:49 PM
Lisa - thanks for jumping in. I'll tell you what I did and maybe it will make sense to you - something might jump out as something I did wrong? I opened a .avi file in Premiere then exported the timeline as a tiff sequence. I then opened that sequence in Maya Live - I can scrub the timeline and see the sequence. Then I set tracking points, hit start track, and it errored out. Are there any special settings I should be using when exporting a tiff sequence or special importing settings when importing the sequence.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - and BTW - I think you should definitely put together a tutorialuser added image

# 77 18-11-2005 , 08:16 PM
Subscriber
indiefilmmaker,

When I said follow the tutorial I meant follow it with your own files and project. That's what I did.

Also in Premiere I export in TGA and de-interlace the clip on export, which makes it easier for Maya to track the markers.

Are you doing Widescreen or 4:3 ?

BTW: Lisa, You have far too much faith in me user added image and on the Tutorial you know you would be the first to do one!!! I haven't come across any.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by BMS; 18-11-2005 at 08:18 PM.
# 78 18-11-2005 , 08:23 PM
Paul - I'll try using a TGA sequence instead of a TIFF - maybe that will help? In addition - I shot it 4:3 - but the camera crops it to 16:9 - so I'm not entirely sure what input settings I should use in Maya - I'm guessing 4:3?

# 79 16-09-2006 , 02:16 PM
wow! awesome thread! i have been a maya user for fun for years, and havent messed with maya live before,, and this forum seems like a good place to start...

would maya live be a good thing to use to try to animate a sequence like from Cats & Dogs? superimposing teeth and mouths on animals for speech?

# 80 16-09-2006 , 10:28 PM
Subscriber
I don't think that would be necessary, but probably a good idea. The main thing with that would be to rotoscope the moverments of the character, so the alignment is synchronised.

# 81 28-09-2006 , 08:26 AM
Subscriber
Wow, this thread was great! Where'd everybody go?? user added image

I have a project and I'm trying to decide what's going to be the best match move solution to fit into my low budget pipeline. I've been searching everywhere on the net for tuts and info on Maya Live. This thread- by far- is the most info I've seen on it.

Anyway, I'd love to know if this discussion is/was continued someplace else. Right now, I'm deciding if I'm going to try to use Live, SynthEyes or the free RealViz Tracker plug in that they're distributing for the next year.

Lisa, if your still out there, I'd like to put my vote in for a "Live" tut as well. I'm sure your probably working on a film right now, though.

# 82 28-09-2006 , 08:42 AM
Subscriber
I'm still here but I'm no expert. Have you had a look at the tutorial that comes with maya. Its not bad, it gives you enough to go on. I learnt how to use it from the help and this thread.

Cheers
Paul

# 83 29-09-2006 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
I might be wrong and this is a question not a statement, but isn't AE7 a better tracker than Maya live anyway? it seems ironic changing an AVI in after effects to an image file and then exporting it to Maya when you can track inccredibly well from After effects anyway?? I might have my terminology mixed up, i suspect i do.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 84 29-09-2006 , 09:28 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mirek03
I might be wrong and this is a question not a statement, but isn't AE7 a better tracker than Maya live anyway? it seems ironic changing an AVI in after effects to an image file and then exporting it to Maya when you can track inccredibly well from After effects anyway?? I might have my terminology mixed up, i suspect i do.

whats this??? quoting myself, i hit the wrong button, what i was going to say is , in 3D world a few months back there was a great video tut on tracking and integrating from Maya to motion builder, to boujou, to Maya again (in 3 parts). It might still be available or maybe on the web somewhere? (I mean like digi tuts site or 3D world site or pixar or somewhere like that.) It was a real eye opener for me and i have kind of aspired to do it but no time, maybe the holidays or some thing. I am still trying to figure where to get the data for the camera like focal length, film back and that sort of thing, I think you have to go to the dealer or something like that for lens distortion and all the fiddly bits, or is that not so necessary as they say??

# 85 29-09-2006 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber
Hi, BMS.

Yeah, briefly. I've found another tut online that I've been following along with. https://www.jeremyraven.co.nz/tutorials.html

It's handy and simple. I plan on doing the one from the help files pretty soon.

btw, those links to your initial match moving stuff. I'd love to see it if it's still available.

Thanks

# 86 29-09-2006 , 10:16 PM
Subscriber
Hey, BMS.

Also, I'm having trouble tracking a fairly quick, non-nodal, camera pan. Unfortunately, the shutter speed was set too low, so there's a lot of motion blur. Live either refuses to track or the trackers fail at those points.

Any suggestions?

# 87 30-09-2006 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
Sorry, Mirek03, I didn't see your post.

Isn't AE a 2D tracking system that won't solve and deliver a 3D camera. I don't know myself as I don't use AE. I'm a Shake guy (though no expert in that either).

Film back/ccd/cmos size is VERY important. Also survey data is pretty much a must for more complex solves, from what I understand.

# 88 30-09-2006 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
very true, yes, now i understand the difference, it was just my teacher at TAFE (when I can find him, i do film at uni, 6 weeeks to go, and animation at TAFE) told me he preferred tracking in AE over Boujou?? So i guess i got confused there, man as things pan out it really does get to a point when you gotta figure out where and what you want to do, digital film and animation really is just too big for one person, what a drag, maybe over a 5-10 year period one could get proficient enough to be a sort of one man band. By then it is more a life style so you would want to be keen on the hobby. I mean wanring to be a famous movie maker or animator is about as equaliviliant to wanting to be a rock star, so it comes down to a sort of hobby for me.

can i find that info in my camera manual?? its only a little one chip (ccd, i know that much user added image )sony.

what is 'cmos' and what is 'film back ' (size of film??) mean in english. is there a short version, if not dont worry i will find out when the time comes. I am trying to use Boujou and from what i can see once you get the hand of it it is pretty easy (it looks like that on the tuts anyway, but i just dont understand some of the more complex terms)

# 89 30-09-2006 , 08:02 AM
Subscriber
Hi guys!!

I'm still around too - hi BMS! I only pop in now and again though, to have a browse of the posts, I'm usually pretty busy all the time. I'm not doing matchmove anymore at work, but if I can help with any questions I'll try.

LisaG

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 90 28-10-2006 , 04:57 AM