Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-03-2003 , 03:41 PM
Subscriber

Displacement

You may find this question a bit silly, but I want to ask;

Do I have to have a high polycount model to use a displacement map?

Or is it possible to use it "straight" on a "simple" nurbs-surface or polygon mesh?

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 2 13-03-2003 , 04:00 PM
Subscriber
Hey Undseth, discplacement will depend on the number of polys you are using. so yes, high poly count more detail.

# 3 13-03-2003 , 04:21 PM
Subscriber
Ah ok. Thats too bad. It's not easy getting a good displacement without having a really dense poly mesh.

Thanks roach!

# 4 13-03-2003 , 07:17 PM
I wouldn't underline this. Afaik displacement mainly depends on tessellation and displacement settings of the poly object. To get good results from a single poly plane you'd need to up these values quite a bit. Imho Maya's displacement implementation sucks. Slow as heck...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 13-03-2003 , 07:34 PM
Here's some proof user added image

This is a single poly plane displaced with a fractal texture. The result isn't even what I expected... ewww...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 17-03-2003 , 07:55 PM
Subscriber
Yay, I found out something!

After connecting the height field to the shader group (if I remember correctly), I check this setting in the objects attribute editor.

"Feature displacement"

This way, you can create a displacement on a single polygon. And the result is fantastic!

Ooops, seems like Kbrown already said so.... user added image

Btw, the manual "states" that the extra sample rate should be set lower than the initial sample rate.