Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 21-09-2016 , 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Small Bath

I made the jump to Redshift and I'm loving it! Crits welcome :3

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

- Genny
# 2 21-09-2016 , 10:01 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hi Gen

long time no speak, I hope all is well with you.

this is great I love it. I'd heard about redshift but not looked into it, if this is anything to go by I will have to very soon

Jay

# 3 21-09-2016 , 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
Hey Jay! Yes indeed, it's been a while. I'm doing pretty alright and I trust you are as well! I won't lie, I was reluctant to try Redshift or any of the GPU renders as they just seemed like trendy tech at the time but with Maya 2016's Mental Ray issues (slow, stubborn noise), I decided to poke around other solutions and people kept raving about Redshift. The speed and ease left me a bit confused, annoyed and really excited (Why didn't I do it sooner??) lol. For anyone else reading, this is not a Redshift plug, I'm just an artist that shook off some shackles! user added image

- Genny
# 4 22-09-2016 , 08:12 AM
Subscriber
Pretty nice render although I would drop the blues a bit and make it a tad lighter. Just my two cents.

I hear you about Mental Ray although the new version seems pretty good. Rendering on the gpu so it will be a bit faster and simpler render set up.
But still all those fancy new gpu renders are amazing. I have been trying out Octane for maya and the interactive rendering is super nice. Also hardly any technical stuff to set up the rendere. Great renders almost out of the box.
At home I am even starting to learn a bit of Max as I am really interested in Archviz and Max has a lot more support for it. With Max I am now trying Fstorm render wich is similar to Octane.

I will probably still use Mental Ray at work but at home I am steering away from it.

# 5 22-09-2016 , 08:06 PM
Lifetime Member

I made the jump to Redshift and I'm loving it! Crits welcome :3

Out of interest Gen, what GPU(s) are you using for rendering?

I see guys building eGPU rigs and they stuff them full of the latest and greatest nvidia cards they can get their hands on! I'm still on a single GTX 680 user added image

# 6 22-09-2016 , 10:28 PM
Super Moderator
@ Martel

Yeah I noticed that after I created the thread saw it against the forum background. It does irk me a bit, especially the second image. Gonna rebalance it. One of the cool things about RS is that the settings are sort of similar to Mental Ray, especially on the arch shader so the transition has been fairly easy.

@ Halfloaf

I'm on my potato GTX 660 and I'm getting great render times. Turns out GPU rendering is pretty legitimate so I'm looking to upgrade!

- Genny
# 7 26-09-2016 , 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Updated color correction!

user added image

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny