Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 06-08-2012 , 07:06 PM
Subscriber

First character model?

I'm trying to model a male character and this is my first one. It looks like the first time I've ever used maya..lol. I attached a pic of a smooth mesh render. My questions are, how can I improve it? His arms are horrible, chest is horrible, basicaly the entire model looks like crap. I'm going for as realistic as possible, muscle tone etc. How do you guys/women do your details? I started with a cube and extruded everything from and duplicated as well. I mostly model simple objects so this is all new to me. Thanks for taking the time to answer, if I get any..lol.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 06-08-2012 , 08:07 PM

I'm trying to model a male character and this is my first one. It looks like the first time I've ever used maya..lol. I attached a pic of a smooth mesh render. My questions are, how can I improve it? His arms are horrible, chest is horrible, basicaly the entire model looks like crap. I'm going for as realistic as possible, muscle tone etc. How do you guys/women do your details? I started with a cube and extruded everything from and duplicated as well. I mostly model simple objects so this is all new to me. Thanks for taking the time to answer, if I get any..lol.

We need a wireframe render to really give you a proper response. There are major problems but if you give us that we can dissect where you began to go wrong.

# 3 06-08-2012 , 10:19 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I wouldnt worry about whether you used maya before or not, modelling 'realistic' characters is always a dangerous subject to approach, especially when using the word 'realistic'. Everyone will jump on you for this. Firstly what you have to remember is that we as people see each other every day so we know what makes us human, so any mistakes you make are going to stand out.

I would say start with a more cartoony style character, something a bit simpler and get used to working edge flow and loops and so on, Keep the mesh as light as possible and push the forms to the limit before adding more geo.

Keeping it simpler will also stop you from going insane, especially on a forum where crit can be recieved as good or bad or even just pointless crap so you'll have to weed out what is useful to you and what isnt.

Everyone and anyone will come out of the woodwork with regard to character stuff, and regardless of their own short comings will attempt to crit your work, again, good bad or pointless. If need be, ask to see their work first or point you in the right direction at least. Constructive crit is best!!!

good luck

Jay

# 4 07-08-2012 , 10:20 PM
Subscriber

I wouldnt worry about whether you used maya before or not, modelling 'realistic' characters is always a dangerous subject to approach, especially when using the word 'realistic'. Everyone will jump on you for this. Firstly what you have to remember is that we as people see each other every day so we know what makes us human, so any mistakes you make are going to stand out.

I would say start with a more cartoony style character, something a bit simpler and get used to working edge flow and loops and so on, Keep the mesh as light as possible and push the forms to the limit before adding more geo.

Keeping it simpler will also stop you from going insane, especially on a forum where crit can be recieved as good or bad or even just pointless crap so you'll have to weed out what is useful to you and what isnt.

Everyone and anyone will come out of the woodwork with regard to character stuff, and regardless of their own short comings will attempt to crit your work, again, good bad or pointless. If need be, ask to see their work first or point you in the right direction at least. Constructive crit is best!!!

good luck

Jay

Thanks for the words Jay! I've been doing just that, keeping it a little more simpler until I get the hang of it a bit better.

# 5 07-08-2012 , 10:25 PM
Lifetime Member
I have 2 characters on the go, one is Jays Ramsay and another for game dev. I dont do organics and I can tell you it isnt easy...which is wierd because as Jay said we see humans all the time yet they are so damn difficult.

I havent finished Ramsay but I can say that is one of the best to get started with. Simple geo and not overly stuffed with with the hard stuff. Its a good simple tut which is easy to follow and well presented.

Good luck mate, you will fall down a bit but get back up and keep going.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes