Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 12-08-2007 , 07:33 AM
thanks Si - yeah I think I ended up with a lemon. I'm pretty sure the start up problems are due to a faulty adapter, as it starts up fine when it's not plugged in, so I've ordered a new one. Aside from that it's still having trouble restarting (it just shuts down) but I don't think that's the end of the world...

It's not been my week for electronics. Aside from my laptop and warranty woes, my ipod has gone and died on me and only comes on when I purposefully drop it on the floor (i know, but it does the trick :blush: ) and the acer monitor decided to die on me just as I was finishing modelling it and so has been replaced!

ha ha... :headbang:

# 47 17-08-2007 , 08:44 PM
Hey arran

Expensive week!

It always happens like that dosent it!

Any updates on these models?

Would love to see them textured, glad that the pdf was of help.

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 48 17-08-2007 , 10:05 PM
Top work Arran, your texturing and renders are looking aewsome.

# 49 18-08-2007 , 12:18 AM
thanks leonlabyk - user added image i'm looking forward to getting back into this.

gster - ha ha - it seems as soon as i get some money something expensive happens. user added image no updates just yet - still waiting for a new adapter to arrive - have been playing resident evil 4 while i wait which is lots of fun.

yeah, that pdf was really helpful and there were a couple of other good articles on her site as well.

cheers.

# 50 24-08-2007 , 10:51 PM
un****ingbeleivable. just got the new adapter and still the same old start up problems. so now I have to argue with the repair shop to get a refund and I guess send it to the back to sager to see if they can fix it. :angery:

# 51 25-08-2007 , 12:25 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Can you not ask your money back, if you have the reciept and a good reason i don't see why they won't give you your money back.
Don't know how much you paid for it but if it is +1000 dollari would'nt take it laying down but i've a bit of a short stop :angery:. and looking at the details of your story it seems you're a bit more patient

Have you tried resetting cmos, did they check memory compatibility.

# 52 25-08-2007 , 12:49 AM
unfortunately the manufacturers warranty has run out so i'm not going to get my money back. Basically the problem is that when I turn it on it usually starts up fine the first time, but the next time i turn it on, the led clock won't come on, the disc drive won't open, the sound is choppy and it makes some worrying popping sounds as it's starting up. the repair shop told me that the adapter needed to be replaced, but when i got a new one today, it was still having the same problems.

not sure what you mean by checking cmos or memory compatibility.

# 53 25-08-2007 , 10:42 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
sometimes the ram memory conflicts, with software and/or hardware.
resetting cmos sometimes helps, it will reset your motherboard

# 54 06-09-2007 , 01:50 AM
well - still no laptop, so I decided to steal my wife's computer and started to make a fly. the thorax is proving to be a real headache as it's impossible to find any decent close ups or shots from underneath.

anyway - here's my progress so far...

by the way i tried the cmos settings, but still no joy.

Attached Thumbnails
# 55 06-09-2007 , 02:28 AM
Subscriber
Damb man nurbs, ha i love guy's that do the challange in Maya user added image

You got nice skills in nurbtopia user added image

# 56 06-09-2007 , 02:32 AM
ha ha - thanks - nurbtobia! user added image i don't think so!

# 57 06-09-2007 , 02:36 AM
Lifetime Member
Hey arran goodluck with this ..oh how I know the joys of modelling an insect ..hehe

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 58 06-09-2007 , 02:41 AM
ha ha ha - yeah i don't even know how you manage to uv that and not go insane. user added image

# 59 06-09-2007 , 02:44 AM
Lifetime Member
Who says i'm NOT ? user added image

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 60 08-09-2007 , 03:22 AM
bit of an update.

Attached Thumbnails