Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 196 05-02-2012 , 10:39 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
just a quick test on the shader with a non-uved model....its gonna look pretty good I think once the reflection is lowered and the actual texture in on it.

back to the tail.............

J

Attached Thumbnails
# 197 05-02-2012 , 11:55 PM
Lifetime Member
Wow looks good already Jay, tell me...how come you picked a plane with no cammy LOL!!! and why did the Americans not cammy???

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 198 06-02-2012 , 12:07 AM
Thanks Ants

No cammy....never really thought about...the P51 is and looks cool without it. I think the nearest they came to camouflage was on the B-17 which was a matted green color...but not all of them LOL

have an update...just started finalising the rear elevators

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 199 06-02-2012 , 04:31 AM
Camouflage for US aircraft depended on the stage of the war. In the early stages olive drab and grey bottoms were the norm and towards the later stages bare aluminum and black and white invasion or recognition strips were more common.

Jugs (P-47's) and P-40 warhawks and P-38's as well as the early bombers B-17's and B-24's had Olive Drab and Grey in the early stages of the war for minimum camouflage when viewed from above on green fields and against the sky with the grey bottoms.

However, camouflage is only important when you are on the defensive and it was not long after the US entered the European theater with large numbers of aircraft and crews that base defense and therefore ground camouflage was not as critical. In fact the bigger concern was being mistaken from the ground as axis aircraft and was one of the reasons for the black and white invasions stripes being kept on many aircraft well beyond D-Day. Being recognized was more important then not being seen.

Throughout the war most US aircraft stuck with olive drab and grey and towards the end of the war when the allies had total air superiority we stopped painting the aircraft all together -both fighters and bombers and so in the late stages of the war you see most of the planes in bare aluminum although many were still painted with invasion stripes for ground recognition.

In the early part of the war England was certainly being attacked and was perilously close to having unsustainable losses of aircraft and crew just due to overwhelming numbers of German aircraft. This of course was the great battle of Britain arguably the greatest air battle of all time. The need for ground camouflage was therefore more important. Had the Germans not decided to switch from targeting the British air bases and other air defenses to carpet bombing the cities the loss of royal air force pilots and planes and air defenses would have been unrecoverable.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 06-02-2012 at 05:08 AM.
# 200 06-02-2012 , 05:03 AM
Oh and the model looks great Jay. I am chomping at the bit to get back to work on my F8F-1B Bearcat. Although, I dread texturing as I suck at digital painting (well painting in general).

I just looked again and I don't see ailerons? Have you cut those out yet or are the seams just not pronounced in the render?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 06-02-2012 at 05:09 AM.
# 201 06-02-2012 , 10:10 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the info Rick...very interesting! Looks good Jay...keep it up.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 202 06-02-2012 , 10:20 AM
look on the model mate aerilons are there including the trim tabs

The render is just a shader test so none of the detail is visible...its pretty crappy. The rear aerolons arent present in that render, check the grab after....

Jay

# 203 06-02-2012 , 02:31 PM
Yeah I figured it was just the lighting on the render that was making it hard to see the detail where the seams were. It's going to look really good.

# 204 06-02-2012 , 07:44 PM
rm3d
wow thats what a good texture can do for model, looking amazing, love following WIPs great place to pick up tips and tricks and even work flows. keep up the great work

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 205 06-02-2012 , 09:46 PM
there's no texture on it.

Its just a shader test with reflection blur and ambient occlusion in it. Should work niely once I get the real texture done

cheers
Jay

# 206 07-02-2012 , 12:04 AM

# 207 07-02-2012 , 12:30 AM
small update...heading to the fin now

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 208 07-02-2012 , 12:35 AM
I played the front part and the end part with the beautiful announcer with the cool sexy accent over about 6 times )

# 209 07-02-2012 , 12:48 AM
Lifetime Member
I wanna see that movie...looks like a good story too...I will no doubt spend MOST of my bloody time looking at the models LOL...like I did on the last film I saw. Looks good Jay...little bit of whiteout...still looks good though man.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 210 07-02-2012 , 01:06 AM
The Mustang's propeller blades look much meaner then the Bearcat's!