Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 17-10-2011 , 08:56 PM
Well sat down for a little longer and pushed this is as far as I am willing to go with it. Not really a challenge once you get the ZSpheres in place. Think I might do a sea turtle next and practice some more on the hard-surface stuff tonight....

Attached Images

Last edited by Chavfister; 18-10-2011 at 01:18 AM.
# 32 17-10-2011 , 09:12 PM
The Nurb Herd

this as far as I am willing to go with it.

haha, ever heard of the phrase "jack of all trades"?

# 33 17-10-2011 , 09:21 PM
The thin red line

I think I fall into that one Dom...............dave

# 34 17-10-2011 , 11:12 PM
The Nurb Herd

I think I fall into that one Dom...............dave

haha, me too. user added image

# 35 18-10-2011 , 12:30 AM

Yea, been there and done that. I have gotten the term "Jack of all Trades" quite a bit in my young career. I consider myself fortunate to be in the career that I enjoy and the ability to employ the many opportunities that I am presented with. I can tell you everything from the creation and application of prosthetics and base matches on makeup to the method of optical printing. I am willing to bet none of you have even done optical printing and most of you are almost ten years my elders.

Fact is I love this stuff and make it a habit to learn and digest everything that I can. Whether it be useful as in optical-based physics to the completely useless optical printing. But I respect the past and understand the many ways to do the same thing. That is why I don't bash a method someone uses and let it stand at "different strokes for different folks." At the end of the day your life and how you enjoy it is all that matters. But don't sell yourself short and think "You Can't Do It" simply because someone else has. You go far in this life once you realize that everything has already been done before and you simply need to mimic until the piece becomes personal. Those who think they will create something new and revolutionary end up creating nothing in the end...

# 36 18-10-2011 , 12:53 AM
Lifetime Member
I not Jack and the only trade I have is Construction...of which I can do 95% of all aspects of the work. Chav.....is there a good PDF tut on Zspheres? I have the basic book on Zbrush but its a bit vague. I more want to learn Zspheres as an exercise and get my eye in so to speak. Im hopeless with organic modelling but thought after seeing Mayaniac smash a basic mesh out really quick...this might be something to learn? or should I stick with Maya basic mesh and go from there?

Nice Scorpion BTW

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 37 18-10-2011 , 01:25 AM
@Bullet - Well the base mesh it will provide is decent but not perfectly ideal. You are compromising the perfection for the speed. If you are simply concepting and want to create something organic then go ahead. I have also had success in rigging these meshes at times. The biggest issues occur when two appendages meet near the center and it creates a "pole." As far as for faces you can apply animation topology through advanced polygroup isolation and utilizing the "group loops" feature. Not even having to touch the retopo tools and getting edge flow from the beginning. But this requires extensive knowledge and if you are just starting out I recommend that you cruise youtube or wait for a while and let me make a video on the basics of ZSpheres and the skinning method. This will also fall towards which version of ZBrush you possess. The newest versions include a new skinning method that prevents twisting which was a HUGE problem in past versions. I believe they fixed this in either 3.5 or 4. Let me know these details and we can go from there...

# 38 18-10-2011 , 05:09 PM

10.18.2011 Begin

So decided to do a gorilla today. Was at the Omaha zoo back in August and got to see these guys from inches away and they are some big dudes. Very emotional when you look into their eyes...

UPDATE: About 20 minutes of progress after coming back from a delicious BBQ lunch. Man I love pulled pork, almost better than, nevermind not better than that....

#2: Head was too big on previous post

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Last edited by Chavfister; 18-10-2011 at 07:09 PM.
# 39 18-10-2011 , 06:14 PM
The Nurb Herd

Yea, been there and done that. I have gotten the term "Jack of all Trades" quite a bit in my young career. I consider myself fortunate to be in the career that I enjoy and the ability to employ the many opportunities that I am presented with. I can tell you everything from the creation and application of prosthetics and base matches on makeup to the method of optical printing. I am willing to bet none of you have even done optical printing and most of you are almost ten years my elders.

Fact is I love this stuff and make it a habit to learn and digest everything that I can. Whether it be useful as in optical-based physics to the completely useless optical printing. But I respect the past and understand the many ways to do the same thing. That is why I don't bash a method someone uses and let it stand at "different strokes for different folks." At the end of the day your life and how you enjoy it is all that matters. But don't sell yourself short and think "You Can't Do It" simply because someone else has. You go far in this life once you realize that everything has already been done before and you simply need to mimic until the piece becomes personal. Those who think they will create something new and revolutionary end up creating nothing in the end...

:face palm:

# 40 18-10-2011 , 06:46 PM
To early to really crit at the mo but look forward to seeing your progress in the morning matey. I would not class you as a jack of all trades master of none, you were well on the way to becoming a master of one but got bored of it, I would kill to of worked with some of the people you have.

# 41 18-10-2011 , 09:04 PM

To early to really crit at the mo but look forward to seeing your progress in the morning matey. I would not class you as a jack of all trades master of none, you were well on the way to becoming a master of one but got bored of it, I would kill to of worked with some of the people you have.

Should be interesting when done. Kind of didn't do the whole symmetrical thing which is gonna kick me in the nuts as far as rigging but when the sculpt is done I will just repos the head and do a smart resym to get the buildable rig. More work but the pose is fun to do and I feed off of looking into the beasts eyes over a dead staunch stare. Not as good as the Druids wolf though....

Really having fun with this app. Learn something new every day. But in the end you use the same tools 90% of the time. ZSpheres get me there anyways. Those things are highly underused and this new dynamesh thing is gonna change it but I believe the ZSphere method is still the way to go to lock down proportions and perspective poses.

# 42 18-10-2011 , 09:26 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
@Bullet:

The Zsphere method is pretty good once you get your head around what they are doing and if positioned in the right way and converted to the adaptive skin you can get proper edgeloops in the topo without too much trouble at all mate....its easy. they actually have hidden handles too for manipulating them etc, so more to them than meets the eye than just drawing them out one after the other. Plenty of vids on you tube if you look

cheers
Jay

# 43 18-10-2011 , 10:31 PM
@Jay - I might be wrong on this but I do believe that the new skinning method doesn't support the handles system anymore. They have pushed away from this to move towards shadowbox or the Dynamesh concept. You can still use it but you must select classic skinning. Just as a heads up if you try this option bullet...

# 44 18-10-2011 , 10:55 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Chav and Jay...I will just watch a little more and cruise the youtubes whilst Im away in the bush. I have 4 at present Chav. Well it looks like a Gorilla LOL...and yes mate you are so right, they are more human than we think..a lot of animals are. Its a pity as the supposed super species we fall down so very easy when it comes to looking after our home...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 45 18-10-2011 , 11:14 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah it does, the control handles for the spheres are - I dont mean the Adaptive skin itself. You are thinking of the Ires and Child to parent, Membrane Curavature etc. I'm talking just for rescale, position etc. as you can re-invoke the control handles of a zsphere just by clicking on it. The finer details as mentioned would be used on the classic 'version' (which isnt a bad thing anyway) and thankfully keyboard 'a' still converts to and from polygon to zsphere and back again -a hobbits tale user added image

I've still yet to delve deeper into Z4r2, (sounds like a*******star wars droid). Its strange seeing how far its come, as Ive had it since version 2.

cheers
J