Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-04-2009 , 06:35 AM
Subscriber

issue with Mac, Maya, and Middle Mouse click

at work i was put infront of a mac with maya and told to do stuff as a break from typing and researching code (and i like it when things work... so maya compared to coding is tranquility)

and when testing out the controls of mac maya i found the most disturbing thing ever...

the middle mouse button doesn't work the way it should... whenever i click it the scene begins to dolly in discrete steps, regardless of what key i hold down on the keyboard

this means i can't track, adjust values, or assign materials using the middle mouse button
i suppose adjusting values in the channel box or assigning materials is still fast (ish) to do the other ways, but the lack of tracking is quite difficult to deal without
(i made a keyboard short cut to bring up the tool, but it's still rather annoying to have to change tools when you just need to use one)

i assume this isn't normal and there might be an issue somewhere that is resolvable?

also (this is just a ramble, not a complaint or anything...) i've totally forgotten what hotkeys i've set myself! :p
i would start pushing certain key combinations only to find that the command isn't even assigned to that hotkey
the only combinations i remember setting is ctrl+1 to do a render preview, and ctrl+alt+h to bring up the hypergraph

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 2 19-04-2009 , 10:20 AM
The Nurb Herd
i don't have any of those problems.

Where do you work btw?

# 3 19-04-2009 , 10:50 AM
Subscriber
maybe it's just something wrong with the mac? it is a pretty old one. it doesn't render properly and there are a few UI issues, i think it might have something to do with the graphics card

hammer: i work for Kiwa International, they do post production ADR stuff.
i work on the software that produces their products (currently going to start work on the next version of their flagship product voiceQ)

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 4 19-04-2009 , 04:19 PM
Lifetime Member
Chirone,

Open up the preferences and scroll down to the bottom of the "interface" menu to "Devices". You'll find your mouse settings there.

-Halfloaf

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2
# 5 19-04-2009 , 09:34 PM
Subscriber
thanks halfloaf, i'll try that the next time i get put in front of that computer