Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 27-10-2002 , 04:45 PM
The Maya Mountain
So far, all I've used in the game projects I've been involved in has been Maya...

# 17 27-10-2002 , 04:50 PM

# 18 27-10-2002 , 04:52 PM
Subscriber
the bonus game pack, as good as it is, is an extra download, doesnt come with maya

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 19 27-10-2002 , 05:29 PM
SM Alumni
Isn't it worth it as you get the full hit as a student type thingy???

Got to be the best deal, along with this site & the help you getuser added image

gimme everything u got
# 20 27-10-2002 , 07:11 PM
The Maya Mountain
heh, I don't even use that game pack. Guess I should try to get it sometime. lol

# 21 27-10-2002 , 07:49 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
heh, I don't even use that game pack. Guess I should try to get it sometime. lol

Lol!

# 22 27-10-2002 , 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Nem
the bonus game pack, as good as it is, is an extra download, doesnt come with maya

We all know 3Dmax is a plug-in oriented piece of software, lot´s of the things done in the program, are actually the work of several plug-ins. A lot of software and indeed small VFX companies are actually migrating to Maya, since it offers a stable, no-plugins-needed platform. (Which means less resources leaking when keeping track of all those plugins, and to why they don´t work, with this version or that one). I got to say though, first 3d applet I saw and indeed used was 3dmax, but you got to go from good ... to better. "You need plugins? Why not make them yourself? Go on try it!" That seems to be maya slogan, and I´m happy for it.

# 23 27-10-2002 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber
yeah but for companies which dont have time to learn a program like maya, max would be better because it is so much easier to learn

- Simon

# 24 27-10-2002 , 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Nem
...so much easier to learn

...than Maya? Lol! I must be one of the gifted then since I´ve been learning Maya at an incredible pace. I thought the learning curve of Maya was incredibly steep, but hell! program hasn´t stopped amazing me.
I just grabbed lot´s of spheres and I´ve been experimenting with everything I can. Dynamics? Hmm .. let´s see! KeyFraming? that certainly looks great, let´s try it now. Can´t be any more straightforward.
Besides, if you had a company and a platform which would promise cost-reduction we´re offered to you, and at a price you could even call ridiculous, believe me, they´re going to take it. (as lot´s of them have started to do now)

(Gotta love forums!) user added image

# 25 27-10-2002 , 08:37 PM
Subscriber
max has a very childishly easy to navigate interface

- Simon

# 26 27-10-2002 , 08:39 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by Nem
yeah but for companies which dont have time to learn a program like maya, max would be better because it is so much easier to learn

I dont agree

I had so much trouble with Max, and absolutly hated it, I had no interest in 3d at all with max... maya was so much easier..ok it can be harder but only because it does so much more then max, unless you apply the 3 million plugins max needs.

For an "out of the box 3d product" Max dont even come close to maya! and now the price has come down im sure a few more people would turn to it.

# 27 27-10-2002 , 08:39 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by Nem
max has a very childishly easy to navigate interface

That says it all!

# 28 27-10-2002 , 08:57 PM
Subscriber
i reckon that makes it so stupidly easy to use cos every f*cking thing is labelled

- Simon

# 29 27-10-2002 , 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Nem
i reckon that makes it so stupidly easy to use cos every f*cking thing is labelled

Hmm, I don´t recall seeing any menú or feature in Maya that wasn´t labelled. Perhaps the distanceBetween node, but as of everything, It´s all labeled too.

Perhaps I understood incorrectly that last statement? Was it in Maya or 3dmax that everything was labelled? I think both programs have their features labelled, but let´s say for example, the spacebar, do you find it as usefull in 3dmax as you do in Maya?

Hmm .. thought so.

# 30 27-10-2002 , 09:14 PM
The Maya Mountain
Let's try to keep this place civil, please.

Nem, as a former mod of this board, I must say I'm pretty surprised at your anti-maya statements. If you like Max so much, why don't you use it instead? I'm not trying to be argumentive or anything, but whether you use Max or Maya or whatever, you get the pretty much the same results. If you like something better, than use it!

Now, obviously, being a Maya website, the vast majority of people here are going to say Maya is better, myself included. With my own experience, the first hour with Maya, I had something created and was easily pushing/pulling CVs, etc... I couldn't say the same thing in Max. After an hour, I put it away. What can I say? Lazy? Maybe.

Anyway, just wanted to ask that everyone keep the conversation civil and let's not get into any flame wars or anything...