Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 07-02-2007 , 09:44 AM

Originally posted by The Architect
mirek03 > 'Architect, CONSPIRACY, what where?? who me, ?? be careful, macs have eyes (or built in cameras) Is someone watching me or do I just feel someone is watching me.'

Deep inside a mountain in a secret underground facility, there is an Xserve that controls the legions of Macs, waiting for all the PCs to be bogged down with Vista before they all pounce... I think I've been watching to many movies... user added image

Could be true, if Windows dumps XP off the bat to try and force people to upgrade and apple bring out OSX running on PC's........

Think vistas going to be a nightmare, i for one wont be upgrading for a while!, even though my Pc has the little "Windows Vista Capable" sticker puting it into my mind!

End of the day I was demoing macs for 6 months showing how to get round etc, if I did go to mac I'm mostley running maya/Zbrush/word and video editing anyway so it wouldent make much of a difference to me at all. Like I said install a programme hitthe shortcut to open, off ya go!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 47 07-02-2007 , 10:02 AM
gster123 > 'Like I said install a programme hitthe shortcut to open, off ya go!'

So theres no options for customisation? The problem with todays computers (generally) is that everything is too automated like the 'automactic error report' and autoplay with Windows. Its just annoying that the computer seems be in control more than the user.

# 48 07-02-2007 , 10:02 AM
Subscriber
yea, Vista is a disease that the legions of Macs have let lose on the mainstream world of PCs. The PCs know nothing about it, they believe it is an OS invented by their fearless leader and famous car stealer.., Bill Gates. This is Macs ultimate deception, BILL has been possessed by a Tiger 10.4.8, I Mac, and believes he is an INTELagent, .He believes that the marriage of Mac OS and Windows by Intel will again confuse the little people of earth into believing his veil of good will is genuine.., but in reality he has VISTA, a disease of delusion and dishonesty, all he really wants is MORE money and power.., but the legions of Macs are WAITING quietly, with great anticipation at the coming rebellion and eventual overthrow of billy boy, tipping the balance of power that will bring all Macs out of the dark world of the cave and back into the light restoring the balance of power to its correct alignment with the universe.

the above is in no way an opinion of Simply Maya, it is only mine. they would never endorse this.

edit, end of day, press shortcut/alias, and off you go.., yes and no.., freaks me how micrsoft has become so intrusive on our privacy. BUT in general, i agree with yu.

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 07-02-2007 at 10:06 AM.
# 49 07-02-2007 , 10:08 AM
Senior Software Developer
Really the OS is just the platform to launch your applications from. DOS being the best example of this. Now with demand people wanted more from there OS, so stuff was added, then the internet went public and people wanted more so it was added. Since then the competition opens up and more stuff is added to your OS.

What I would really like is a Linux/Unix Backend and running a Windows based OS (god that soundslike a mac), but I can use my old software on it and it has not grabbed all my hard earned resources to run itself. So Vista is outta the window for me, I would never use it, having played with the Beta 1 and 2. In all honesty, I have been thinking about dropping back to 2000 Pro again.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 50 07-02-2007 , 12:09 PM
Subscriber
huuuhuu, long time not been here, but on a topic like this I cannot resistuser added image

I've been using pc'S for 80 percent of my life, actually not knowing that macs exist. And even then I didn't realy like windows (how can one?) The only advantage windows has, is compatibility, that's it. And concerning me, whenever I needed a piece of software I was able to get it for mac as well.
Now, I've been working on an old ibook for three and a half years now. It is still running very well, I reinstalled the system once, but only because they brought out a new OS.
My college uses pc's, bought around the same time. they are much higher spec, graphics, memory and cpu wise, but wayyy slower. They crash a lot, you get useless updates, only thing they do is make things worse. When you try to "force quit" a programm it takes ages or the whole system crashes, an interface that looks as if it was designed by the "teletubbys" themselves etc... Windows is a notorious trash collector as well, uninstalling never works properly.
About the design, it'S not tha main factor and a lot of people might disagree, buuuut if you work in design and use the computer a lot, it does make a difference wether you have a grey noisily humming box on your desk, or something slik and quiet.

If you really like pc's thats fine, and I don't care what people use or not use, at the end of the day it is ones work that counts and how you achieve the best results.

# 51 07-02-2007 , 12:35 PM
On a techy basis the reason windows takes soo long to end a process that has crashed it that it writes a dumpfile for it, this is a feature of the kernal and is supposed to allow the OS to be more stable. The quickest way to get a non responsive application in windows 2k or XP is the open task manager and right click on the offending app and choose goto process. If it selects Explorer.exe do not kill it. There may be 2 apps the same so go back to the applications tab and choose the alternative and right click and choose goto Process it should then have chose the corret app click end process button. this stops the dumpprep.exe from running and the PC from crashing.

remember its not the OS that causes these issues its the poorly written applications that do... MS are to blaim for this as the SDK's are not at a low enough level to stop these types of things.

Anyway XP Sucs, Vista requires a super computer and macs are ok for what they can do well.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 52 07-02-2007 , 01:05 PM
Subscriber
what you are saying is exatly what I am talking about. It seems to be that you have to be some kind of computer expert to do a simple operation like quitting a program that is not responding. I think at least 90% of windows user wouldn't know how to do this. Apart from that I wouldn't want to worry about stuff like that whilst working.

# 53 07-02-2007 , 01:55 PM
I support over 1500 users at IF (Intelligent Finance - Internet Bank). If everyone of them knew how to do the more "advanced things" in windows I would be out of a job. I agree, as a user this is not your problem, its down to your support to deal with it.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 54 08-02-2007 , 04:18 AM
Subscriber
"be careful, macs have eyes (or built in cameras) Is someone watching me or do I just feel someone is watching me."

wow i just relised that someone could be watching you 24/7... how scary user added image

# 55 08-02-2007 , 06:18 AM
Subscriber
yes, and they have feet and legs too and sometimes they just walk around the room.... oh sh*t where's my computer?

# 56 08-02-2007 , 07:51 AM
Subscriber
haha farb! you never know though.. in the imac since you dont really see inside it, it may have legs :p

# 57 08-02-2007 , 08:46 AM
R@nSiD > 'On a techy basis the reason windows takes soo long to end a process that has crashed it that it writes a dumpfile for it, this is a feature of the kernal and is supposed to allow the OS to be more stable.'

Yeah, I knew that and I don't have that 'feature' enabled becuase I found out that it actually causes more problems as the writing of the dumpfile sometimes causes another crash thanks to the wonderful quaility of the code.

R@nSiD > 'remember its not the OS that causes these issues its the poorly written applications that do... MS are to blaim for this as the SDK's are not at a low enough level to stop these types of things.'

Microsoft seems to be the evil one here. They make a dodgy OS and make 90% of the world run it, locking the other software companies into making programs for it and then provide dodgy SDKs and that hideous .NET (I have to do that at school). Right now, after having wasted two hours today waiting for the school's Xeon server to recover after a crash with Windows Server 2003, anything UNIX like such as Mac OS or Linux seems pretty good to me.

farbtopf > 'what you are saying is exatly what I am talking about. It seems to be that you have to be some kind of computer expert to do a simple operation like quitting a program that is not responding.'

In my opinion its not that its a 'advanced' thing to do, its just that with most things in Windows, they are buried in a confusing splatter of dialog boxes, wizards, hidden somewhere that requires a full page of text just to describe how to get to it

farbtopf > 'yes, and they have feet and legs too and sometimes they just walk around the room...'

I wonder if they capable of 'dealing' with the competition like those furby like toys in one of the Simpsons episodes... user added image Lets buy a Mac and put it in a room with a copy of Vista. If Vista is torn to shreds the next day, consider my theory valid... user added image

# 58 08-02-2007 , 10:32 AM
"...Microsoft seems to be the evil one here. They make a dodgy OS ..."

Not true. Place XP on any box (thats is above recommended specs) and use it without installing a non MS Product. I guarantee it will not get any problems.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 59 09-02-2007 , 01:57 PM
Very true Chris.

As for school, college and uni computers I can guarantee they will be more prone to crash no matter what OS is on them as they get seriously abused.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 60 10-02-2007 , 07:03 AM
R@nSiD > 'Not true. Place XP on any box (thats is above recommended specs) and use it without installing a non MS Product. I guarantee it will not get any problems.'

I don't think so... Microsoft seems to crash on itself sometimes like with error report generation, automatic updates and stuff. Anyways, a box that has only Microsoft software on it seems pretty useless to me. Anyways, the design of Windows, the OS architecture and the quality of the coding isn't great. That seems to cause a lot of crashes and problems.

gster123 > 'As for school, college and uni computers I can guarantee they will be more prone to crash no matter what OS is on them as they get seriously abused.'

I was talking about the server that crashed, causing me not being able to access my VB .NET assignment on the network drive. Anyways, the servers locked up safefy in a dark room so it can't be abuses.

Your right about the computers in a school having more problems, they are treated very very badly. Our libarians like placing monitors over the cpu intake vent and our admin with a meagre (well its actually a lot but my idea of a basic computer is 5 grand) budget never puts in enough ram but too much demanding software resulting in horribly configured boxes.