Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 61 06-10-2007 , 05:18 AM
Acid44
sorry if this is something thatll have me killed but RELAX!!! its just peoples opinions on maya 2008, and im also sorry if it seems that im directing it to you jr.who im not. i was gonna post this ealrier but i didnt get around to it...

now everybody get drunk and come to pickering:p

# 62 06-10-2007 , 08:48 AM
I found out an interesting thing the other day with the whole maya thing, something mentioned by autodesk actually, saying that studios can, if they want just get a customized version of maya, for example if they were running maya 6 complete and wanted the ncloth module and a customised fluids (so its geared up for say fire) they will do it for them, so a lot of the time they dont. Also Autodesk consult houses and and them what features they want and test it with them first so there must be some use in it.

Anywho, thats not the point, if you use the dyanmics toolset for simulations and render a lot of particles as well as do quite a bit of rigging, its got some great added tools, mental ray seems faster too as its the new core, but then again if you dont use them then you wouldent see that much of a difference, oh apart from less crashes.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 63 06-10-2007 , 10:39 AM
Its still pretty shite, its just the least shite out of all the packages user added image!

# 64 06-10-2007 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber
Just a question as i haven't got 2008 ...

Have they added in some sort of plug-in where you can do render things with wire frame(the good quality ones) or is that one thing they have forgot about AGAIN?

(Excuse the red "AGAIN" was just trying it out :p)

# 65 06-10-2007 , 04:25 PM
Subscriber
yea, they forgot it AGIAN (how did you do that red?? user added image ) but thatll coming in maya 2008 'may' version for sure user added image

actually it does render faster and I like it better than 8.5in a number of ways, but the question remains.., should it be bumped up to a different version or as most companies do.., make it a build?? Again I point to the revolution in integration (for the hobbist and big business alike, ) that ADOBE has released (and Im not a lover of big companies).., that deserves to be called 'the next version.'

and .., every six months??

apart from that, I like maya 2008 user added image

(and looking for the tools every six months is annoying.. user added image )

take it easy and life will be easy
# 66 06-10-2007 , 05:06 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by mirek03
but thatll coming in maya 2008 'may' version for sure user added image

and .., every six months??

(and looking for the tools every six months is annoying.. user added image )

Just to clear something up that you keep complaining about:

Version release dates history:

2008 (9.0): September 2007
8.0: August 2006
7.0: August 2005
6.0: May 2004
5.0: May 2003

# 67 06-10-2007 , 05:10 PM
Subscriber
"Version release dates history:

5.0: May 2003"

you missed 8.5 and 8.5 sp1 - lol

# 68 06-10-2007 , 05:59 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by tweetytunes
"Version release dates history:

5.0: May 2003"

you missed 8.5 and 8.5 sp1 - lol

I just put up the major releases.

# 69 06-10-2007 , 08:14 PM
You cannot simply skip 8.5 and all the intermediate "updates" that broke compatibility with plugins just because it bolsters your argument. It's like picking only the points of the data you need to make your graph fit your theory.

8.5, 7.01, and one of the level 6.x releases were not compatible with plugins that were installed for versions 8.0, 7.0, and 6.0. Autodesk also removed dxf support in one of the dot releases which although it did not break plugins it removed a tool that nurbs modelers had been using since maya 3.0 to fix an isoparm parameterization bug in maya, which now has no solution.

And even with the corporate spin on "full release" verses "update release", if it breaks plugins and scripts and shelves without truely adding any value it is not a worthwhile update to me and to others, and our oppion is just as valid as yours. You find the new features to be valuable to your workflow, while some of us do not see the new features as making much of a difference to what we do and don't like having the things we have come to rely on (like plugins and scripts) broken.

I am not ragging on you about your position, so I don't see why you feel so compelled to rag on those of us that don't agree with you. Lets just relax and agree to disagree. The title of this thread is "Maya 2008 Impressions" which invites people to give THEIR impressions both positive and negative and not just agree with yours.

Last edited by ctbram; 06-10-2007 at 09:01 PM.
# 70 07-10-2007 , 12:30 AM
Subscriber
Ctbram took the words out of my mouth.., this is crazy.., how can anyone take the 'maya 2008 MAY version' seriously..?? beats me.., I thought I was stressed..?? relax, take a break.., coffee, tea, bickies, sump oil.., whatever your piosion.., each and everyone of us is aloud to have an opinion and/or make a joke.., im not pionting a finger at anyone except Autodesk.., and even then.., it wasnt a big .., eeerrr..., finger-piont??

but CTbram has a few good pionts that are without doubt.., something to question. one must admit.

# 71 07-10-2007 , 12:31 AM
Subscriber
also missed 7.1 .., lol user added image

so how many releases since Autodesk took maya.., compared with Alias.., someone interested enough might figure the maths.., personally i dont care.., but i wish they would slow down on the releases,

very werid taking out that tool Ctbram talked about, why would they do that and leave no fix??

Last edited by mirek03; 07-10-2007 at 12:34 AM.
# 72 07-10-2007 , 07:50 AM
I think that Alias relesed about the same amount of point updates as autodesk, but only time will tell as to if they will go back to the yearly trend.

Whats the tool that CTbram mentioned thats missing? edit- Yeah, thats a strange one, think bucking the trend to poly modeling...

I know marlon was asking about wire frame renders which youve been able to do using the vector render and a comp for ages, so to me, adding a specific setting for it, well whats the point since you can do it anyway?

With the releases you got to think that they come out/announced about the same time every year, when Siggraphs on, probably because if they didnt people would think theyve been sitting about doing nothing, compared to other companies.

8.5 did have new technology (ncloth) that was leaps and bounds above "classic" cloth, as well as imporvements to bits and bats UV mapping for one, so thats probably why they updated then so they wernt sitting on it for an extra 6 months.

With all the plug in's etc its a 3rd party plug in anywho so i'm on the fence with that as its a bit of both in my mind as its up to the developer of the plug in to write it for the version of maya since its a plug in after all, maybe Autodesk should relese the code to developers in the beta stage so that the plug ins are available when it ships???

Last edited by gster123; 07-10-2007 at 08:21 AM.
# 73 07-10-2007 , 08:27 AM
Subscriber
this is out of hand.., but..,

8.5, 7.01, and one of the level 6.x releases were not compatible with plugins that were installed for versions 8.0, 7.0, and 6.0. Autodesk also removed dxf support in one of the dot releases which although it did not break plugins it removed a tool that nurbs modelers had been using since maya 3.0 to fix an isoparm parameterization bug in maya, which now has no solution.

plus quote..,

I am not ragging on you about your position, so I don't see why you feel so compelled to rag on those of us that don't agree with you. Lets just relax and agree to disagree. The title of this thread is "Maya 2008 Impressions" which invites people to give THEIR impressions both positive and negative and not just agree with yours.

as for me..?? well Steve, theres been good and bad pionts debated here.., all opinions are that.., opinions.., and each to his own and what suits them.., obviously Ctbram has a fairly sophisticated take on maya.., me..?.., i have an unsophisticated take on Auto desk.., its the world of big business and many geeks who were passionate about IT have become a part of its machinery.., grinding away.., keeping up with the jonses. As far as Auto-Desk looking like they are 'doing something' in the eyes of its competitors, well im not sure it warrants so many releases.., (we ARE talking BIG money, too big for my uni to buy) a product speaks for itself.., especially one like maya.., take the Korg wave station.., been around for years and is still one of the best because of its assets.., mainly wave modulation, modulation synthesis, .., the only 'update ' it got was to be compatible with OSX.

again i piont out, why call them releases when they actually more like 'builds.'

Jr Who seems upset about something that totally escapes me?? but he has a right for his say too.., but not to rage and insult my opinions and me.

i dont usually use 'auto-desk' and 'maya' in the same sentence. auto-desk is business that's flaunting a product called maya. maya is a 3D app.

again I point out, its sites like Simply Maya that keep the passion in Maya.., I find the auto-desk site a little daunting.

Last edited by mirek03; 07-10-2007 at 08:32 AM.
# 74 07-10-2007 , 09:06 AM
Hey Mirek

Whats out of hand?

I'm just saying when the releases come out, and who with, which you asked about, and giving my opinion (which this thread is for) of why they do, and what my standpoint is on the plug in's, not having a go at anyone.

I agree that youve got to look at all the releases when saying something like this, which is what I did.

What did your uni go with in the end?

Last edited by gster123; 07-10-2007 at 01:45 PM.
# 75 07-10-2007 , 09:19 PM
Subscriber
hey mate, Im out of hand for babbling on for so long about something so.., rhetorical!

its easy to misunderstand on the net isnt it. I ve always found you one of the most polite and level headed..,

what did uni go with..?? what do you mean.., the SPX?? the flies?? now sur.., oh.., now i see.., they got 3D Max (despite severe canvassing from me) because the volume licences were too expensive for maya.., which is interesting because its the same company.., auto desk.., so theres not much chance of bringing the price down due to any sense of competitiveness.., its actually a monopoly of sorts.., though the term is used loosely

3D enters the world of Flinders multi media (not the film dept) next year.., when Im gone user added image

(man, i cant count how many times I have been misunderstood and attacked for it (being misunderstood) ) .., or simply attacked for my opinion on this forum.., every forum for that matter.., I dont think my writing comes across well??, though, Steve, that certainly doesnt apply to you.)

im surprised people stick up for auto desk so much.., all I can think of is they think, by proxy, they are supporting 'maya.'

big business sucks and I think the new trend of bands telling their fans to download and pay what they feel is great.., people will want to pay because no-one wants such a large percentage going to big buisness and not the band they are supporting or simple enjoying the bands music.

ill always contend when it comes to big business.., they will bring on the end of the world asap.., (witness climate change) and laugh all the way there. (a little side thought)

Last edited by mirek03; 07-10-2007 at 09:48 PM.