Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 76 26-06-2003 , 12:32 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by David
It's not really referred to in that way in the UK or at least as far as I know, simply because 9/11 here is the 9th of November so....

yup, when I moved to the USA, I had to convert my day/month to month/day..... I guess i"m used to both ways now

-Emo

# 77 26-06-2003 , 12:50 PM
Subscriber
you know there probably the talent around here just sittin on it's ass to make even a few shorts to get some clients
--
oh and for the game:
aussie
australia
student
3d or design at university
not gettin a job doing either of the two above

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 78 26-06-2003 , 01:39 PM
Subscriber
I think youre right mumbojumbo.... I have an idea but this is gonna be one huge ass project to pull off

What would you all say if we do a little short film here at SM? we'll design a storyline... somebody like Kurt with good drawing skills will scetch up some pictures of this story... others will model, others lighting, texturing, animating, rendering and so on... at the end, we'll composite it with all our names in the credits and who did what... it'll be pretty cool... but only if a lot of people participate... I can't do this by myself so... who's with me!?? user added image

-Emo

# 79 26-06-2003 , 02:01 PM
Emo: You're idea is prolly in the minds of many of us. I am a bit skeptic that it would work. It would be a whole different story if all the participants would know each other in real life and could meet at least once a week or so... I would love to be doing this but I'm afraid that work and other stuff takes too much of my time... Good luck if you're gonna pull it off...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 80 26-06-2003 , 02:15 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the support kbrown. I dont see why we can't pull something like this with all these talented people around here!

if enough people show interest, I'll make a seperate thread for it and we'll start from there!

-Emo

# 81 26-06-2003 , 02:32 PM
The Maya Mountain
the biggest difficulty with such an endeavor is actually having people involved who WILL do the work, and also do it well. Pretty much every such project I was ever involved in had me doing pretty much the only work, and that failed pretty quickly.

Good luck, you guys. Hopefully you won't have that problem. My job doesn't allow me the time to join, I'm afraid.

Again, good luck! user added image

# 82 26-06-2003 , 04:36 PM
Subscriber
I would do ANYTHING in my power, which is pretty weak heh. One of the collaboration-over-the-internet problems me and pony found was bandwidth. Trying to trade frames and stuff like that across the net SUCKED bigtime, but i still did it! They cut my entire store's hours (300+ poor supermarket employees) so i'm only at 20 hours a week. I have free time and when i don't, i make it.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 26-06-2003 at 04:38 PM.
# 83 26-06-2003 , 04:37 PM
Subscriber
Yeah, I sort of have the same feelings. I've done projects like this before and I also seem like the only person who actually puts any effort into it. You'll probably have people wanting to participate who can't exactly um....well... model all that good, which might cause problems, and then you might have disagreements with the theme, how ideas should be conveyed to the viewer, etc. If you did this just for fun, only for fun, and didn't really care about the quality as much as you would if you were doing your own personal demo reel, I think it would work out ok.

And as the the two before me said - "Good luck!"

# 84 26-06-2003 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
True, there would have to be an underliying FUN theme. I think that this is POSSIBLE but you would need (like my friends Dark, and Mike said) serious dedication, and talent. (oh and fun!)

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 85 27-06-2003 , 11:17 AM
Subscriber
yeh it would take effort but i think like kbrown said i think we would need somewhere to communcate or a listing of what everyone's doing and the storyboards and everything
and also we would need a dedicated " manager" that nags everyone and makes sure everyone knows what their doing

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 86 30-06-2003 , 07:04 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by R-Tillery
(Recycling Projects) ? what,,You gather up aluminum Cans for money? user added image

Correct... aluminium and paper

When the only tool you use is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.
# 87 30-06-2003 , 09:56 AM
Subscriber
hi,

thought I wanted to contribute also... thought thoughted... thought written down... thought here... thought there... thought everywere... user added image

1.Nationality - Danish

2.Which country are you in - Denmark (have also lived 6 years in the Netherlands)

3.What is your job - working on getting one... user added image
(among other things... figuring out how to make a Mouse play the guitar for this "song" https://www.strarup.net/musik/WeWhere.mp3 )

4.Where do you want to be in 2-5 years time - in Kurt's and Rage's studio "The gimmick house" user added image (no joke either) or e.g. Kevin's SimplyCGStudio.com if he makes one... user added image

5. Biggest fear with regards to job - non CG work... (the worst job would be Fisherman)

6. Whats my dream is in 3D - to be able to live from it... food on table ect. and create great things in e.g. Maya, and work on some great project... (and once being able to visit siggraph)

----------------------------------------------

regarding a Simplymaya project I think that would be a great idea... user added image ofcouse there might be or come some problems with it... but what the heck... it might also give some great RL experience and some fun too... user added image

and e.g. some advertisement for SimplyMaya... user added image

I have a little idea for a project... some time ago I have written a little hilarious piece which once got published in the school magazine I worked on... which almost got me banned from doing more in the schoolmagzine, since it outraged some people on school... (student age from 18 to 75+) it is written in Danish but I will begin to translate it into english, and then you guys can see if it could be something...

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 88 30-06-2003 , 02:53 PM
1.american
2.usa
3.right now highschool
4.In 2 years I want to be at ringling school of art and design and then get a good job at animating, may be in la or something.
5.My biggest fear would have to be a flop at animating and my second would be not to be accepted into ringling which is very difficult to get into the animation section.
6.To be very good at animating and maybe eventualy win a award for a short film or work for pixar or dreamworks.:bgreen:

I am very scared about not getting into ringling cause they only accept 45 out of 300 and college are included in that 300. Not meaning to brag but I have talent at drawing and I am working very hard at perfecting it, but unfortunately I have seen some of the artwork ringling has turned down for that department is better than mine. But I at least know that if I dont get accepted I can always go to another art college and apply again and again till I do. :p

# 89 30-06-2003 , 07:28 PM
1. Nationality- American.
2. Which country are you in- USA
3. What is your job- I am currently a student completeing my Masters Degree in Computer Animation. But as a job, I am a web designer/graphic artist.
4. Where do you want to be in 2-5 years time- ILM.user added image
5. Biggest fear with regards to job- Finding one.user added image
6. Dreams in 3D - I dunno if I dream in 3D although they do seem real at times.:p Well, as stated above, my dream job would be to work at ILM (but whose isn't?) Pixar, Dreamworks, Sony, PDI, Blur, Big Sky, Tippet Studios, Stan Winston Studios, WETA Digital... those would be great too. (and not necissarily in that order). user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu

Last edited by dave_baer; 30-06-2003 at 07:30 PM.
# 90 30-06-2003 , 08:40 PM
The Maya Mountain
I used to want to be in ILM and other such studios, but from what I heard, the only one that is actually any fun to work at is Pixar.

Just from what I've heard, of course.