Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-08-2003 , 02:33 AM
Subscriber

WIP male Naga

here's a screenie of my progress on his head thus far =P

its meant to be low poly btw user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 2 13-08-2003 , 02:58 AM
Really good start..... nice clean geometry...

Only thing I would say is watch the faces around the mouth.

You should be able to get the faces going in a circular pattern, with out changing any thing major. This will help if your planning on using blendshapes.

Looking forward to updates...

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 13-08-2003 , 03:34 AM
Subscriber
hey thanks =) yeah i looked at it and thought that myself (in regards to the faces around the mouth) wasn't too sure. no blendshapes, just textures. I think i will go ahead and fix that then =)

Last edited by 3dgurl; 13-08-2003 at 03:36 AM.
# 4 13-08-2003 , 09:57 AM
Subscriber
here's an update i need to work with the smoothing groups to get them to look right around the face then its off to UV mapping >_< ugh...

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 13-08-2003 , 11:30 AM
Subscriber
very cool user added image
This is coming along real nice!

Keep it up!

whatever!
# 6 13-08-2003 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
yeah my poly limit it 3500 tris and so far i still have 250 quads to spare before i hit that =P

i'm actually surprised with myself. the last mid poly model i did was too high poly (about 6100 after it was in tris) and she looked too much like an anime character not not enough like a human. I realized this time around how important it really is to follow the basic lines created by bone and muscle. In the past my models have been good but i would never actually do things like define the ribcage the way it should be and such.

any more suggestios before i put some finishing touches on this guy?

# 7 13-08-2003 , 04:51 PM
Its comming along really nice..... The tummy is a bit high in geometry.

Remeber with low to mid poly work most of the fine detail is actuly done using textures.

Most if not all the six pack on the model can be done with texturing. Its also a why to keep your tri count down thinking what you can do with a texture then model it.

Again good stuff

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 8 13-08-2003 , 05:58 PM
Subscriber
cool thanks i'll work on that, i'm also thinking about making his ears stand out from the front view just a little bit more.

# 9 13-08-2003 , 08:52 PM
Very nice work Gurl. Far better than anything I have done user added image

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 10 13-08-2003 , 11:25 PM
Looking good, one thing, the tail seems to coil alot, jus saying it may become annoying when it gets to skinning and weighting your character if you plan to as the lightlyhood is that alot of the verts on unwated areas my become bound to some joints. Yeh i would try and focus on the outline of the model.. if there is detail you have added that doenst make too much difference to the outline then there is excess geometry.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 11 14-08-2003 , 12:05 AM
Subscriber
Whoah- nice bit of work there! :thumbsup:

# 12 14-08-2003 , 03:45 AM
Subscriber
Ahh well only the straight portion of his tail and the part of his snake-body that is "standing" up, along with the rest of his body, will be animated. He won't be slithering around either. He is a stationary monster.

thanks for your comments and input peoples =)

# 13 15-08-2003 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber
Well here are the UV maps i have laid out. YAY time to texture this guy. sorry for the big SS. dual monitors ^_^

Attached Thumbnails