Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 18-10-2006 , 04:00 PM

Another two questions...

I'm currently working on the free character modelling tutorial, and I'm at the part where I change from polygons in to Sub-Ds.

..I get two problems though.

1. When I convert it into Sub-D, it splits each finger into three parts, so my character ends up having 10 fingers on one hand. (Three rows of three fingers stacked on eachother, and the thumb)

2. I was messing around trying to fix number 1, when my model went nuts...
Now it looks like a mix of Sub-D and polygons, with a bunch of loose lines running rampant.

...and now updated with number 3: Somehow, the shading completely dissapeared, leaving me with just the mesh of the character...and hitting "5" or "6" doesn't do anything.
Neither does Ctrl-Z

Edit: I forgot to add something..
When I first tried converting it, it wouldn't let me, saying I had to clean up the nonmanifolds or something, which I did. Maybe that is the cause..? I have no clue what nonmanifolds are.. :/

Last edited by GhosTz; 18-10-2006 at 04:04 PM.
# 2 18-10-2006 , 10:10 PM
Subscriber
well it is cause you made the hand aka fingers you dont have keep faces together under polygons.. ..do that and then you shoudl be able to solve both issues

# 3 19-10-2006 , 02:11 AM
Well I tried, but now it won't let me change it to Sub-D.

It still says I have to clean the nonmanifolds, which (I think) I do, but it's still telling me to clean them up.

# 4 19-10-2006 , 02:16 AM
Subscriber
if you post the file in zip maybe someone here can look ...maybe you dont have some vertices joined

# 5 19-10-2006 , 03:10 AM

# 6 19-10-2006 , 03:55 AM
Subscriber
okay since you new let me let you know some stuff ...rapidshare accts some people dont have ..you can just post and then you will see the browse button and just put your zip up that way ..

most people wont download it ...but your problem is real easy to fix .....

okay i want you to go into maya and then go to display > custom polygon display options box ...and then check border edges and move slider to 5. i circled that. Do you see how we have thick lines. Thick lines indicate edges and should not have anything else after them. see the wrist ? it has thick lines. It shouldnt cause you have more geometry after that .... okay the circle in red indicate what you need to change ..and the purple circle is the lines that should not be edges ...

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 19-10-2006 , 04:02 AM
Subscriber
First in the wrist ..the middle row ..if you go to vertices and then show them ..you will see that the whole middle row is not joined ...click on one and then use the move tool and move it ..see how it is not joined ?

you have to do that on all the middle ones ..merge the vertices and you will see the dark edge go away after you done that all the way around the wrist . After you got that done you will be able to convert to sub d but then have the finger issues ...and i showed how to solve that ..

Attached Images

Last edited by mmoore5553; 19-10-2006 at 04:20 AM.
# 8 19-10-2006 , 04:15 AM
Subscriber
okay the reason you are getting 9 fingers is because you have two or three fingers on one hand .... i dont know how you came up with that ..look at the picture ..i deleted a top face and it should have been hollow ..and it had another face ? okay and i deleted that one and another one was there ...i finally deleted the third and found the bottom. I would chekc to see if in maya you have under

polygons>tool options> keep faces together check .

make sure that is always check when working ...saves you alot of trouble later

I would just delete your whole hand at where i put it in purple and create the hand all over ..make sure you delete whole hand ...

anymore questions I would be glad to help ..if you dont understand please let me know and I or someone else can help ...

hope you can see the picture and understand

the green spray paint is top face ....top layer ..then i deleted it ..and then came the other face ..which should not be there ..it should be empty...hence the red spray paint on another one that should be gone. It is done on all hands as i tried to show .

see how the pink goes all the way down when i delete the top one ...that is how it should be ..you should see the bottom of the finger

i am positive you didnt have keep faces together when you first created the fingers ...you extruded and that is what happen .... so try it again ...

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 19-10-2006 , 04:19 AM
Subscriber
it is a really good job ..i like it alot ..i am having issues with hands myself ...so i know how hard it is ..keep modeling and it is looking good ...so far .... cant wait to see the progress ..i would go ahead and start a new thread in WIP
that way other members can watch your progress ..

good work mate

# 10 19-10-2006 , 05:36 AM
Whoooa thanks for your help. user added image
I'll try that out.