Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-06-2013 , 11:58 AM

Recalcuate Normals

Hi, I have been searching for a reset or recalcuate normals tool and I have come across plenty of fourms and threads but none with what im looking for.

When I dupliacated my mesh the duplicate had some inverted normals and after looking at the normals editor the normals all look very messy. Is their a way to recalcuate (reset) the normals like in other softwares?

If you require a print screen please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

# 2 28-06-2013 , 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
Normals>Conform doesn't work?

- Genny
# 3 29-06-2013 , 09:46 AM
Yea, tried conform.

# 4 29-06-2013 , 10:33 AM
Ok this might have been a mistake on my part, I dont think its the normals anymore, both sides of many of the faces are not visible so it cant just be that they are faceing the wrong way.
Ill give more information after I try a few things, the faces could be hidden but I dont see why.

btw Can I not insert an image without bringing it in from a url?

It was that the material had ditached itself from some of the faces, just applied a new one and its fine now, dont know why the material was detached.

Last edited by BlenderCube; 29-06-2013 at 10:36 AM.
# 5 29-06-2013 , 03:24 PM

Ok this might have been a mistake on my part, I dont think its the normals anymore, both sides of many of the faces are not visible so it cant just be that they are faceing the wrong way.
Ill give more information after I try a few things, the faces could be hidden but I dont see why.

It was that the material had ditached itself from some of the faces, just applied a new one and its fine now, dont know why the material was detached.

This happened to me in college. Apparently maya looses connection to materials sometimes (..wut?).
Object Mode → select the object.
Window -> Rendering -> Hypershade Editor.
Find the material you've applied, or default Lambert1, Hold Right click it → Apply selected material (should be the top option)

btw Can I not insert an image without bringing it in from a url?

Use the paper-clip (Fonts | Sizes | A | user added image | paper clip) to upload an attachment.