Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 31-01-2006 , 08:47 AM
Subscriber
I really really like this thread!

Beautiful work you've got going on there, and excellent pointers on HDRI.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 17 31-01-2006 , 09:21 AM
happymat27: Thank you very much!

FubaR: Well, I had a picture in my head how I wanted the sequence to be so I just pretty much got down to business and started working out scales. I read somewhere that the max speed for the Me109 is about 730km/h so that ment 18m/s. I'm using 1/10 scale for the scene so it dosnt get to big in maya and easy units to work with! It is actually a bit tricky to animate because they travell quite a distance in the scene, because of that I animated the camera as I animated the fighters. Hope this is what you were asking for?
/Chris

Beauty is worse than wine, it intoxicates both the holder and beholder - Immermann"
# 18 31-01-2006 , 11:36 AM
Subscriber
See all this work just makes me think of all the things I would like to do.

I'll get there one day.

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 19 31-01-2006 , 12:05 PM
Tim_LIVID: Just never give up, one can only get better!! I guess that the day you gett fully satisfied with the work you've done is the day you want to look for a new career. When I look at stuff I did a week ago I always see stuff I want to change and improve. user added image Keep it up!
/Chris

Beauty is worse than wine, it intoxicates both the holder and beholder - Immermann"
# 20 31-01-2006 , 12:40 PM
Subscriber
I know what you mean. Im just concentrating on getting my showreel done and getting a job so I can at least get paid for doing it.

user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 21 31-01-2006 , 05:54 PM
Yes. A part of it. I'd rather like to know how you actually did those shots...with particles or with a 3dobject or sth. else?

# 22 31-01-2006 , 06:42 PM
Subscriber
nice new vid i like the cam shake its a nice touch
did u render this in layers so u can blur the properlla - was it at a decent speed in maya and then the effect makes it look faster of is it all done else where?

keep it up will it finish with a fantastic explosion ? BOOM:attn:

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 23 31-01-2006 , 06:56 PM
sweet dude i love this i hope you are gonna carry on making it cos im loving it so far, one thing, which i dunno weither u are aware of or not, u prolly are but when in that latest reel it cuts to the render cam, i kinda gives the impression the plane has frozen because the angle its turning at before it cuts to the render frame is quite steep but when in the render cam view it starts out almost level, then turns again.
Looks very nice though.
Is this just a hobby or do u do this as a job cos it looks like film standerd.

# 24 31-01-2006 , 07:12 PM
FubaR: Well, I pretty much use all the different tools in Maya. Fluids for the ocean and some clouds, particles for smoke and tracers. Im not sure actually what , could you be more specific?? Sorry...

pbman: Thanks! The propeller is actually a fake one... Let me show you the mesh. Its quite diffecult to get the propeller to look right when you have a propper mesh. I've tried different motionblur settings and different rotation speed but could get it to look right... this isn't perfect in any way but at least it gives the illusion!

/Chris

Attached Thumbnails

# 25 31-01-2006 , 07:25 PM
jhubbard: Thank you very much! Yeah, you are absolutely right. it been a bit tricky to get fluent cuts but I think I've cracked it... I'll probably post a new reel tomorrow. I've been trying out different things and added another cut aswell... doing 10 things at the same time, setting up the scenes and checking that everything works... anyway, this is just a private project, for a living I work as an animator at Team17.

/Chris

# 26 31-01-2006 , 07:45 PM
dude i love worms thats soo cool, i played through worms 3d i thought u guys did a very cool job on that, only prob is crashes now ad again but thats due to ps2 probs. But well done on 3d i wont worms fort but i dont have the cash atm for luxurys. user added image
Sounds fun, how hard is it to get into the whole computer games industry cos i guess its gettin like the film industry these days. i got into 2 courses one for computer games design and also computer games programming at university but i wont to be a pilot aswell and have already started my PPL which is a liecence to fly a PA28/single engined prop. So i also got into a course which is avation technology and managment and also another called aeroauticle egineering. All the courses are at really well respected universitys in the UK but Im in split minds at which path to go down, i mean i dont wonna be stuck in a job i dont enjoy though and i need something which will allow me to be creative which is the main thing. Whats yer industry like?

# 27 31-01-2006 , 07:52 PM
Subscriber
im not quite sure what u have done
what is the mesh is it texxtured to look like it and the animated or wat?
soz for being stupid but i am about to animate my spitfire so ne tips will be useful

thx

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 28 31-01-2006 , 08:24 PM
tim livid ive got to say its nice to see someone who cares about the world, i see yer big ask links, i respect that man, i mean a lot of people dont realise that climate is changing and its gona have serious consequences, maby not day ater tomorrow style but still its gonna be enough to make everyone have to change the way they live, its a shame we cant predict whats gonna happen with a bit more certinty though then maby people would be bothered. Its suprising how much there is to still find out about this planet, forget space we've barly even scratched the surface of the earth, eventhing is so balanced and perfect, but there comes a point were even the earths millions of feedback mechanisms cant prevent climate change. Sorry to change the subject,
by the way tim dont put yer self down so much ive seen that ship its crazy good, yer both miles ahead of most (me)
love the planes dude.
:bandit:

# 29 31-01-2006 , 08:59 PM
Subscriber
Cheers man, for a while there it did feel like I was talking to myself (Dragonfx saved me from boredom).

If your up for a funny video which also has some fact behind it so it appeals to almost everyone then check this out.

https://www.exxposeexxon.com/movie/

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 30 31-01-2006 , 09:11 PM
hehe like it, i livein englad and exxon aint even heard of over here but i hear stocks are high in it ow like one of fastest growing but i dunno about them they aint over here yet. Maby soon we will have the pleasure of them.