Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-01-2003 , 11:28 AM
Subscriber

Maya 4.5 Savvy or Maya Character Animation?

I think that I am beginning to be totally absorbed by Maya and love the feedback that you can get from this great website. So in my endeavours to learn more and get more familiar with this monster program I thought I would buy another book.

I don't know whether to get 'Maya 4.5 Savvy' or 'Maya Character Animation' both published by Sybex. I am keen on character animation but I would like to learn more modeling techniques and especially texturing, which I kind of avoid by just slapping on shaders.

Has anyone got these books and could they give an overview of them? I doubt I will find them in Waterstones or Otakars since they probably either haven't reached the shops yet or have been snatched up. Buying from Amazon or Computer Manuals after reading their reviews, I find, is like buying blind...

Thanks in advance!

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 2 11-01-2003 , 11:34 AM
I think the Maya Character Animation book looks pretty good, but I've only just flipped through it briefly. The local Barnes and Noble had a BIG pile of this one, so you may have more luck than you think looking around for it.

Maya 4.5 Savvy is, from what I understand, an update of Mastering Maya 3. I'm not sure I've seen this one on the shelves, but I haven't kept my eye out.

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com
# 3 13-01-2003 , 11:21 AM
Subscriber
Mark mate, don't have Barnes & Noble in the U.K. but thanks anyway.

I have just looked at Sybex's Website and much to my delight they have a sample chapter that comes in *.pdf format which I have downloaded and looked at. Not only does the book cover character modeling but texturing, rigging and animating too! It also includes a chapter on Deep Paint - I think I'll stick to Photoshop for the moment.

Anyway, it looks like just what I am after so I think I'll order my copy today and then give it a review on this website - I am sure Kevin would appreciate that.

I'm all excited again, was miserable this morning...

Gazzamataz
# 4 13-01-2003 , 11:56 AM
Kevin
i love getting new books! I recently purchased the secrets of the pros book.... although I was initialy disapointed I was incouraged by philip to read a little more...

so as soon as I get time I will look into it some more..

let me know what you think of the above book you mentioned gaz!

# 5 13-01-2003 , 12:08 PM
user added image my point being that if B&N has it here in the U.S. it should hit shelves in the UK pretty soon.

Of course it may take a while to translate it into your language. All those words like "color" and "colour," you know. user added image user added image

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com
# 6 13-01-2003 , 01:12 PM
Subscriber
Ha Ha Ha - Very Funny! I guess you lot (US) cannot help it if you cannot sepll anywya... user added image

Quick bit of research shows that I can get it now from Amazon for £40 but if I go to Computer Manuals I can get it for £38 and only £1 for delivery!

Guess I know where I am goin! One review cumin' right up!!!:banana:

Gazzamataz
# 7 13-01-2003 , 01:25 PM
Kevin
dam I just looked at the head moder tutorial on that pdf preview... GOOD LUCK is all im saying!

far to complicated way to do a head IMO

# 8 13-01-2003 , 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Kevin
i love getting new books! I recently purchased the secrets of the pros book.... although I was initialy disapointed I was incouraged by philip to read a little more...

so as soon as I get time I will look into it some more..

let me know what you think of the above book you mentioned gaz!

I was also initially a little disappointed. But there is more in the book than it seems. Lots of tiny tips & tricks hidden between the lines. For example I've read the ch8 at least three times and every time I've sussed something new user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 9 13-01-2003 , 02:12 PM
Subscriber
HA-HA! I LAUGH IN THE FACE OF CHALLENGE... I FEAR NO TUTORIAL... Now what was it... how do you... er... um... aghhh... oopss... no... maybe... hmmmm.....
user added image

Gazzamataz
# 10 13-01-2003 , 02:16 PM
Uhm... where did you find the pdf?

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 11 13-01-2003 , 03:47 PM
Subscriber

Gazzamataz
# 12 13-01-2003 , 03:50 PM
Thanks. I wonder why those aren't at www.sybex.com... go figure user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 13 23-01-2003 , 11:42 AM
Subscriber

Yippee!

I just got me Maya Character Animation book - all I can say so far is bloody hell, looking sweet!!! All in colour and has a lot of depth, covers all modelling, texturing, rigging and NLA animation.

I might have to start working 4 days a week so I can have the time to absorb it all.

user added image user added image user added image

Gazzamataz
# 14 23-01-2003 , 12:01 PM
Subscriber
gazzamataz

Well I just had a Club Maya meeting last night in Hartford Ct. USA and thay were discussing the new Book Maya 4.5 Savvy and it is a great book. Also Complete Maya Programming is fantastic.

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 15 19-02-2003 , 03:12 PM
Subscriber

Back Again

Hi Gang back again

Been reedin' me Maya Character animation book - it's bloody big!!! Initial thoughts are that it contains a huge amount of info but it doesn't go into too much depth on the details. This is difficult though for a book of this nature since it is covering modelling, texturing, animation, rigging and some of Maya's new features. If it went into the detail I would like it would be 2,000 pages long!

I got it from Amazon for £36 compared to £48 RRP. I would recommend it to people who might not even want to do character animation but modelling and texturing only. The bit I like is at the end of the book where it talks you through a little frog project from initial drawings through modelling, texturing, rigging and animation - I love these kinda fings!

One area that I am completely confused about though is that in that last project with the frog they create one set of bones to manipulate the rig then another set of bones to control these bones. This is a feature that I am used to in A:M, you have geometry bones which have DIFFERENT control bones, but I cannot figure out why in Maya since the bones are exact duplicates...user added image

Gazzamataz