Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 15-04-2010 , 12:14 PM
Lifetime Member

UV map and snap edges

hi guys,

I have been watching Kurt in the UV mapping of the Spitfire and I cant seem to replicate his moves. For starters my 'g' key wont repeat the last command (works everywhere else). When Kurt highlights the edges for sew and move he selects all edges needed and others not related and they snap and move just fine (ie on the wheel well). So lets say he needs to snap the external edges on a circle for the move and sew, then snaps the first lot. He then picks all of those edges he just snapped INCLUDING all of the ones NOT related to the move and sanps again, presto they go to the correct area.

When I try this they go nuts and end up all over the place, I have checked and played with the settings in the tool and nothing seems to work???? I have googled and tried the help in Maya itself but it is pretty lean and vague on this.

If I have double posted (I did a search) just the link to the post would be good, Im sure this question has arisen before. My repeat key doesnt work either, I assume it is a Maya glitch.

cheers bullet:headbang:

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 15-04-2010 at 12:18 PM.
# 2 15-04-2010 , 03:01 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
I dont know if this will help but when you use the "saw and move" the parts will move to the larger of the two. It is possible that when you first map the part your mapping is not the same as Kurt..........dave

# 3 15-04-2010 , 04:13 PM
EduSciVis-er
Could you post a screenshot of the problem area? If you select edges that are already sewn, (i.e. they exist in only one spot on the UV map), they won't be affected by hitting move and sew. If something is jumping where it shouldn't, try Ctrl-dragging around the areas where you are sure you don't want things to snap to.

# 4 15-04-2010 , 10:14 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi guys,

thanks. No I mapped identical to Kurt it all looks the same anyway. I have noticed last night that my underwing was in a different direction to his, it appears to be flipped the other way.

stwert I will post a small vid tonight after work to show you. It will snap single edges (ie if I only select the one row) but if I snap anymore than the 1 row it tries to re orientate and snap multiple edges.

Will post tonight so you can have a squiz. I will try the ctrl drag.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 16-04-2010 , 08:25 AM
Lifetime Member
Well guys you arent going to believe this!!!! I remapped the wheel well in another screen and it came in all sewn together!!!! I am lost on this one. My repeat command still doesnt work in the UV editor though.

I still couldnt pick multiple edges and get it to sew to them. It moves over fine but is like spaghetti on roids when it gets there. I will be doing the rear wings and tail tonight so when and if it happens I will post the pic/video so you can see what Im on about.

I have noticed that the underneath of the wing is facing the wrong way??? have I done something weird?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 16-04-2010 at 08:28 AM.
# 6 16-04-2010 , 08:31 AM
Lifetime Member
try with pics helps

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 7 16-04-2010 , 10:09 AM
Lifetime Member
well I seem to have solved a problem, the 'g' key wouldnt work if I used the shelf (in window) shortcut symbol. If I chose move and sew from the drop down menu it worked fine.

I could be wrong but if I inadvertantly mapped the bottom section of the wing in persp window it may have reversed its geometry?

bullet1968

# 8 16-04-2010 , 10:17 AM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
See the button for rotat circle thing with a arrow on it above that are the flip buttons, you can flip that uv to the correct direction................dave

# 9 16-04-2010 , 10:40 AM
Lifetime Member
bugger!!!! I have already given the whole section the chequered texture, damn. Thanks though dave I will remember that for the future suicide move

bahahahahahahahahaha got it Dave!!!!!!!!!!! jeez Im braindead here!!!!!!!

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 16-04-2010 at 11:14 AM.
# 10 16-04-2010 , 04:32 PM
EduSciVis-er
You can also go image (I think) > shade UVs... if there's a blue tint, then the UVs are the proper direction and you can rotate them around an axis perpendicular to the screen (if that makes any sense). If they are red, then you want to flip them horizontally or vertically. This shade UVs also helps to see if there are any overlapping sections.

# 11 17-04-2010 , 12:07 AM
Lifetime Member
thanks stwert I will try that

cheers bullet

bullet1968