Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 01-10-2003 , 05:01 AM
The Maya Mountain

October Challenge - Preview!

October Challenge

Animation!

Specifically, character animation. user added image

Rules as follows:

1) Contestants must provide their own models and rigging. Now, this IS an animation challenge, so it is not against the rules if you want to download a freebie model from somewhere, along with a freebie rig. It would be my personal preference that you actually model a simple character and rig it yourself! The rigging should not take longer than a week, giving, I believe, ample time for the actual animation.

2) Two sound clips will be provided tomorrow. You MUST choose one of them. It'll be easier to judge if everyone is animating off of the same small selection of clips. 1 will be rather short, while the other a little longer.

3) Animation must be 10 seconds OR the maximum length of your sound clip. If you choose the longer sound clip, I believe it is 15 seconds. The shorter clip's animation should be 10 seconds, even though the sound clip itself is just a couple seconds long.

FYI, for video: 30(ntsc)/25(pal) frames per second. That means, a 10 second animation would be 300/250 frames. For simplicity's sake, perhaps 1 chosen rate would be best? I'll leave that up to your thoughts.

4) Finals can be rendered or simply playblasts, just so long as we can clearly see what's going on. Keep animations and playblasts no larger than 640x480, smaller if need be.

5) You will have to provide your own means of hosting if your video is too large to attach to a thread (the attaching limit being 2 mb). Perhaps someone would be willing to volunteer hosting during the duration of the challenge?

6) Texturing, lighting, etc is NOT required, but is NOT forbidden. Make sure you don't spend too much time on non-animation related aspects of your entry.

7) Make sure you post links to any video/audio codecs you are using to make sure that as many people as possible are able to view your entries!

8) Post progress clips! Playblasts are probably best.

9) You can animate both sound clips if you feel you have time, but only 1 can be chosen as your final entry.

10) As always, name your entries:

October Challenge - Your Name - Your Class

Your class distinction is soley up to you! Choose Noobie or Normal. Keep in mind that if your quality of work is HUGELY blatantly the opposite of what you chose as your class, you may be asked to reverse it. That's not happend before, though, so I wouldn't worry about it. user added image

11) For the short clip, you CAN incorporate other sounds WITH the provided short clip, but ensure that the provided short clip is clearly heard as it is the primary sound that should be in your entry.

12) You CAN and probably should use some simple props (such as the door squeaking in the Spooky clip). You won't be penalized if you do not.

13) You CAN use models and props that you have made previously!

14) Toward the end of the month, 2 sticky threads will be created for people to post their finals. Entries that do NOT post in the "Final" threads will NOT be considered! Also, keep those threads to entries only. If you'd like to comment on them, do so in the original threads the entries started.

15) You cannot shorten or lengthen the provided clips. You can, if you'd like, change their pitch.

Some thoughts:

We're not going to limit you on the kind of animation you do, but please nothing that would be considered overly offensive to gender, nationality, ethnic group, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs.

Keep in mind that facial animation can be quite a daunting task. It could be a fun challenge to convey emotion and such purely through the eyes and body movement. Either way is welcome.

You are NOT limited to one character! If you'd like to have multiple characters interacting with each other in relation to the provided sound clips, please feel free. user added image

If a little hazy on how to do all this, feel free to ask! And don't forget, we have rigging and walk cycle tutorials available here. If you're worried about costs, just remember, the winners recieve VIP points! It'd be like getting double the points for your money. user added image

You might want to storyboard your thoughts, first! The more planning, the better.

If you have any thoughts, suggestions, or questions about the rules or anything else regarding this challenge, feel free to post here. I'll post the sound clips tomorrow!

Looking forward to it!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

SOUND CLIPS!

Long Clip (mirror 1)

Spooky! 15 seconds. 229 KB. If using this clip, it will pretty much play for the entire length of your entry. It'd be best if no other sounds were added. Perfect for October! user added image

Short Clip (mirror 1)

A lion roar. 2 seconds. 14.6 KB. Remember, your animation must be 10 seconds, with this sound clip incorporated into it.

EDIT: See Attachment in my post futher down for another "mirror" for downloads!

Chris_H has provided a mirror for both sounds HERE.

# 2 01-10-2003 , 05:50 AM
Subscriber
Oh boy! Let me reopen those chapters on 'Basic Rigging' and 'Basic Expressions' again....:p

I've learned lots through the last two challege, and this is a great way to force my lazy butt to learn! And Mike, you sure know how to keep us on our toes!

One question: does the character has to be some kind of humanoid, or anything goes? (You'll probably say it tomorrow, I just want to find out sooner!user added image )

# 3 01-10-2003 , 07:00 AM
man october challenge is a bit hard can the animation be simple like walkin straight

cyaah!!
# 4 01-10-2003 , 01:56 PM
The Maya Mountain
HappyLemon - your character does not have to be humanoid, especially when it comes to the Lion Roar clip. Remember, you can have more than one character, such as a lion AND the lion tamer, or whatever. Also, remember that modeling is NOT the focus of this challenge, so you could literally use stick-men if you wanted with no penalty.

plugzplay - you can do that if you want, but if it does not incorporate the sound clip, it won't be considered for the challenge.

# 5 01-10-2003 , 02:03 PM
Another challenge I wont be taking part in directly, since Ive a parp load of other things to do. But I will gladly host any files that cant fit on the forums for people without hosts of their own.

Is there a reason why the forum tells me I dont have permission to download the sounds?

Last edited by [icarus_uk]; 01-10-2003 at 02:05 PM.
# 6 01-10-2003 , 02:04 PM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks, Icarus. user added image I hope you'll be able to join in eventually.

# 7 01-10-2003 , 02:06 PM
Cant download the clips? It doesnt allow me to.

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 8 01-10-2003 , 02:10 PM
The Maya Mountain
Mirror's posted. If anyone else would like to host mirror's, it'd be appreciated. user added image

# 9 01-10-2003 , 02:12 PM
Subscriber
Challenge sounds good Mike user added image

Like the sound of a spooky October theme.

Still thinking about weather to take part though as I was planning on doing some environment work for my portfolio, something I'm sorely lacking at the moment.

But I may try to incorporate the two together and do a spooky set design with some animation. Will decide later today user added image

What the hell, count me in, just heard the 15 sec sound and can't resist it. I'm a sucker for good horror stuff user added image

Last edited by Chris_H; 01-10-2003 at 02:17 PM.
# 10 01-10-2003 , 02:15 PM
The Maya Mountain
ATTACHMENT HERE!

Here is an attachment with both sound files together! Hope everyone is able to view the files. Let me know if someone is still having difficulty.

Attached Files
File Type: zip oct_challenge.zip (243.7 KB, 212 views)
# 11 01-10-2003 , 02:21 PM
>Thanks, Icarus. I hope you'll be able to join in eventually.

No probs. Ive got a page of game models to make that seems to be getting longer as I progress. user added image Maybe after I go insane from the work load I'll be able to take part again.

# 12 01-10-2003 , 02:22 PM
The Maya Mountain
ATTENTION!

Rules edited!

# 13 01-10-2003 , 02:23 PM
Subscriber

# 14 01-10-2003 , 02:24 PM
The Maya Mountain

Originally posted by Chris_H
What the hell, count me in, just heard the 15 sec sound and can't resist it. I'm a sucker for good horror stuff user added image

Woo hoo! He returns to defend his crown. user added image

Thanks for providing a mirror!

# 15 01-10-2003 , 04:09 PM
Subscriber
Well I have never animated anything more than a bouncing ball. And it bounced in rather a strange way. But this seems a good place to start again. So count me in. I think I will animate the cave guy I made for the last challenge to the lion clip in some way.