Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 28-02-2013 , 02:53 PM

MEL - Syntax error

Hi, I'm completely new at maya and mel so bare with me user added image

When I try to call up the script it says: Error: D:/MyMelScripts/test.mel line 1.6: Syntax error
I understand from other posts I read, that I could be writing something wrong so here's my
spelling: source test.mel

The MyMelScripts folder was created by me, while the default was C:\Users\Irena\Documents\maya\2013\prefs\ScriptEdi torTemp - which I found weird but I first tried to call up my test.mel script from there, it came with the same syntax error. Which is why I added a MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH = D:\MyMelScripts to the env file to try and do the same thing from another folder.

When I open File>Source script from Script editor it still takes me to the default location.
I found in the ScriptEditorTemp two files named CommandExecuter and CommandExecuter-0. I don't know if that means anything. user added image

# 2 28-02-2013 , 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
Could you post the first line of the script?

- Genny
# 3 28-02-2013 , 03:43 PM
I was just testing how to save scripts so I just wrote
"sphere"

And that's my entire script.

Edit: Okay, I'm a bit slow, sorry. If it's just sphere then it doesn't work, but I just tried adding move (and some values) to the script and it works fine, though it still works from the ScriptEditorTemp and not the path I added in .env file... but that's ok as long as I can save scripts at all.
Thanks for the help user added image

Edit2: lol, I spoke too soon. What I failed to realize is that if the script is saved in that folder it disappears after maya restarts or if I type in rehash command. :S I'm still getting the same error if I type in the source test.mel - even with the values I added (I actually just copied from the script editor window the values that appeared after I moved the sphere with move tool)

Edit3: I've found my mistake user added image It was a syntax error, in the .env file I put: \ instead of this: /
*feels like a proper newbee* :S

Last edited by IrenaDee; 28-02-2013 at 04:15 PM.
# 4 28-02-2013 , 04:15 PM
EduSciVis-er
It sounds like the syntax error is related to your script, not how you're calling it.
"sphere;" would be the proper command.

# 5 28-02-2013 , 04:19 PM

It sounds like the syntax error is related to your script, not how you're calling it.
"sphere;" would be the proper command.

lol, you're right. user added image Found the error in the spelling when I put the new path in the .env file, still thank you for answering user added image