Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 04-02-2007 , 07:31 PM
Your right there, its coming to an argument of which os is better, apples (no pun) or pears, oranges or bananas.

As far people saying that the mac os is easier to learn.. All I do is install a programme than click the little shortcut to load it, which I think most people do, which is the same on both platforms. Maybe im being naive and i'm not too computer savvy??

As far as the Virus argument goes, yep Macs "dont" have them, its only because the people making them havent targeted macs and arn't going to get as much destruction/fun (if you call it that) from a mac virus compared to a windows one, also people seem to "like" the apple company. (do a google for Mac Viruses, theres been a few).

Kind of makes me laugh the new ad campaign apple have overhere as thats what its based on, could say its false advertising???

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 32 05-02-2007 , 07:01 AM
Subscriber
yea, may as well be 'whats your favorite colour?'

as for work?? yea, no choice, no way i would have bothered to get a mac except I had to.

anyway, its all good to talk about, why not user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 33 05-02-2007 , 01:37 PM
gster123 > 'Kind of makes me laugh the new ad campaign apple have overhere as thats what its based on, could say its false advertising???'

The one where the PC is going through 'major surgery' becuase he needs a new webcam but the Mac has one built in already?

lol! Thats funny becuase its so... stupid?

I'm not saying that the Mac webcam is dodgy (I wouldn't know) or the ad itself is bad (I like the humor), but if you want high performance hardware, you are gonna have to 'plug' it in!

R@nSiD > ' The MAC vs PC agrument is older that most of the people in this community. It has been raging on for nearly 3 decades, it will rage on until one goes bust (will never happen in my life time).'

I like to think it ended when IBM stopped making PCs ages ago.

# 34 05-02-2007 , 01:53 PM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by The Architect
I like to think it ended when IBM stopped making PCs ages ago.

IBM has not stopped manafacturing a home PC, and they still make units for business. Infact I own an IBM Itellistation thats 1 year old and is a dual Xeon 2.8. The MAC v's PC argument will live as long as the PC and Mac are being made.

Remember IBM are not the only peolple in the world to make a PC. HP, Dell, Packard Bell, IBM, Fujistsu-Seimens, Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic, NEC, Mitsubishi the list is endless.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 35 05-02-2007 , 02:16 PM
No these ones

https://www.apple.com/uk/getamac/ads/

There basically saying that PC's need to restart and macs dont (hmm ive been on some of the newer ones that do), that Macs are Home Pc's not really for business, they both run office, (But dont say that you might need to get a sepperate os for extra cash), etc etc

So if you take them for what they are saying, Macs are great for the home!

# 36 05-02-2007 , 02:40 PM
Subscriber
Gster,mate.., if you have never had much experience on a Mac, well you start to appear dog headed and going for the throat. No one hates PCs, I like all computers and 6 months ago would have backed you up (even though i had hardly used a mac. why is that??) but not now. I think if you spent a lot of time on a mac I think you might get hooked (they ARE addictive).

As for your comment (and I have thought about it a lot since getting FCP because I did stick it out with Avid at your advice, true!) before that FCP and Avid are similar, the only thing I see that IS similar is the timeline (slight exaggeration) and a few tools. FCP is soo much more friendly, at least these days anyway, I have 5.1 and man, its like using the most simplest program with the most high end results an it is fast fast fast. I have seem people fly on Avid (dont forget I use ProTools, an Avid product and Avid too) but FCP intel 5.1., is just as fast.

If your talking Pro.., then its a matter of preference is all, too many camps using Avid verses FCP in the Pro world; past that is FILM editing, now THERE is an ART, Im not talking digital, I'm talking celuloid. (I know you know all this but anyway...) That's where things might get a little more limited to the editors experience, but seeing as we are talking digital here, well, I think it is preference.

as for starting up, yes, most high end programs need a restart on the I Mac intel, but so what anyway, who cares and whoever suggested that it is a plus that Macs do not need a restart must be retarded or groping for a sales pitch, very poor advertising, I would have thought a Mac stood on its own for a number of reasons past that (one, they are pretty LOL user added image and the PC is ugly ugly LOL user added image )

as for the camera, it IS quality, but I know some who cover it because it is intrusive, but it IS quality. as proof here is a picture of me, showing JUST' my 'good' side LOL taken on the Mac inbulit I cam

Attached Images

# 37 05-02-2007 , 02:55 PM

Originally posted by gster123
There basically saying that PC's need to restart

A famous company by the name of Microsoft stated that with XP, it would mean the end of reboots. Well that was bollox.

Never believe what you see in advertising, marketing is all about misleading you to buy the product, with out actaully mis-selling it and stayin' as legal as possible.

For the record Gster worked for Apple.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 38 05-02-2007 , 02:58 PM
Subscriber
sorry guys looks like i got names and posts mixed user added image

# 39 05-02-2007 , 02:59 PM
I have had quite a bit of experience on a mac, I worked on them for about 6 months.

As for being dog headded and going for the throat, i'm not at all, I was showing the adverts that are being used over here to promote Mac's and taking them at face value, whats the impression you get from them?? Also you agreed with me on the restart point in your last post, so you must get the same impression from the ad's??

As for the Avid/final cut pro I said that they are very similar, which I found to be true, layout, shortcut keys, effects etc etc.

One of my mates had the Mac book pro and hes never off the built in camera doing things like youve posted, he loves it! He does lots of sound recording like yourself using Pro tools, which kicks the arse of pretty much any PC software in that department!

# 40 05-02-2007 , 03:22 PM
R@nSiD > 'IBM has not stopped manafacturing a home PC, and they still make units for business. Infact I own an IBM Itellistation thats 1 year old and is a dual Xeon 2.8. The MAC v's PC argument will live as long as the PC and Mac are being made.'

... that was a joke. The original IBM PC? Anyways...

I thought IBM sold their non workstation, server, supercomputer line to Lenovo a couple years back... They still make PCs????

gster123 > 'There basically saying that PC's need to restart and macs dont (hmm ive been on some of the newer ones that do), that Macs are Home Pc's not really for business, they both run office, (But dont say that you might need to get a sepperate os for extra cash), etc etc'

Is restarting really that bad that it can be a major selling point?

R@nSiD > 'Never believe what you see in advertising, marketing is all about misleading you to buy the product, with out actaully mis-selling it and stayin' as legal as possible.'

True. Anyone seen the Vista ads where you have all these people saying 'wow' to things like snow and then Vista? The only reason I can think of that will make me say 'wow' when I'm using Vista is when it crashes before I logon...

mirek03 > 'I think if you spent a lot of time on a mac I think you might get hooked (they ARE addictive).'

Hmm... Addictive hey? Wait, I think I'm getting a conspiracy theory! lol

# 41 05-02-2007 , 08:53 PM

Originally posted by The Architect
I thought IBM sold their non workstation, server, supercomputer line to Lenovo a couple years back... They still make PCs????

Levano now deal with IBM's kit and support, but everything is still badged as IBM.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 42 05-02-2007 , 11:51 PM
Subscriber
'The only reason I can think of that will make me say 'wow' when I'm using Vista is when it crashes before I logon...'

user added image LOL

you are kidding? lol

the only reason I have said wow is because I hear it has so many 'phone home' attributes, like dobbin on one as they back up their own CDs they paid for legally! :bandit:

# 43 06-02-2007 , 06:30 PM

Last edited by severinianthony; 06-02-2007 at 07:52 PM.
# 44 07-02-2007 , 06:43 AM
Subscriber
Gster, mate, i dont get to see any adverts.., really i am too busy, the only free time I get I spend talking to you guys. I would no doubt agree with you I am sure, I think i did didn't I, I tried o be light hearted and funny, maybe didn't come out that way, but I am sure I would feel the same as you.

6 months and you DIDNT get addicted?? mmm?? i must be me, I have an addictive personality im told, i have to be careful I am told user added image

what is suprising is I didnt see your mail last time i wrote, like it just came in this time, maybe just didn't see it??? user added image user added image

severinianthony., youll have to do beter than a few links here, too tired to look. I think this is all just some fun we are having, not serious. but looks like could be worth a look if one was looking to buy a computer and was deciding which to buy, mac or pC.., for a lot of us it is a mute question, but thanks.

as a last thing to say this post, yes ,protools with the mac kicks arse, the busing system is incredible, been using cubase for years and I was a PT hater and was forced to get PT, but have learnt what the fuss is all about, it is amazing, a simple example.., can bus a single midi track to as many software instruments as I want, with cubase (under normal operation) one trackequals one instrument. the pT time stretch is incredible too, while cubase time stretch is no slouch either.

I love my Mac, I love my PCs too user added image

Architect, CONSPIRACY, what where?? who me, ?? be careful, macs have eyes (or built in cameras) Is someone watching me or do I just feel someone is watching me. user added image

# 45 07-02-2007 , 09:20 AM
mirek03 > 'Architect, CONSPIRACY, what where?? who me, ?? be careful, macs have eyes (or built in cameras) Is someone watching me or do I just feel someone is watching me.'

Deep inside a mountain in a secret underground facility, there is an Xserve that controls the legions of Macs, waiting for all the PCs to be bogged down with Vista before they all pounce... I think I've been watching to many movies... user added image