Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 76 06-12-2007 , 01:05 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by wokendreams
I read your post about your lighting. For proper lighiting total light in the scene should not add up to more than one. For three lights it would be something like 0.6 0.2 0.2. Also It would look better if your main light was changed to abient and one of the extra lights was moved to within 40 degrees of the first the third should be across from the others. Given your model is air born i would consedr having the third light below and the main lights 45 degrees above the plane to simulate sunlight and ground reflection. Also the abient light should be tinted to match the background colour. Good Luck.

Also a very transpernt repeat layer of your background above the plane layer would give the image depth. And some kind of bumb on the metals would get rid of the coloured glass thing you got going on. Mabey a very low noise or a custom map to suit whatever metal that is.

I've never heard of keeping it under 1. Do you have any articles on that?

I'll try messing around with the lights more, but I have to get this on my site by tomorrow.

What do you mean by "a very transpernt repeat layer of your background?"

# 77 06-12-2007 , 04:09 AM
The lighting thing is from some video tutorial from a while back. I have no idea where but i'll give it a minute and dig.

If you have your original background still take the render into photoshop and add the background image to a layer above the render then turn opacity down to very low. You'll have to play with it a bit. The attachment bellow is a poor example because its a random cloud pick but the right side has the effect.

Links for 3 point
https://www.3drender.com/light/3point.html
Well I cant find the one I want but anyway this should help. Lighting should be a simulation of life not a model display, imo.

Attached Thumbnails
# 78 06-12-2007 , 05:28 AM
Your boned if your using quadratic decay keeping it to 1.

I would just use whatever works for it, I might be tempted to use a "bundle" of directional lights with shadows on (about 6 at random directions) to get an ambiant overall look to it, maybe change the colours a bit to random it up a touch looking at the background, then use another directional light to give the key light (sunlight) to the scene.

If you use quadratic decay it gives nice looking decay, but you will have to overcrank the values to really high values (might be something daft like 2000!)

Have you got the alpha working?

You have to set up the fresnell effect in the hypershade, create a sampler into node and a ramp (remove the place 2d node) then connect the facing ratio to the Vcoord, then make the ramp black/white and then attach this to the refelctivity (or whatever you want to) if you wan to see it working attach it to the colour node of a material to see it working (if should look like its black in the middle of the material and as the surface goes to 90 degrees to the camera it turns white, heres an EG with red and green.

Attached Thumbnails

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 79 06-12-2007 , 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Thanks! I tried the dielectric and it did turn out like crap, lol. :p

Glad I could help lol.
Ok maybe you can try this shader, but if you're looking for short render times don't bother. Still a good plugin to have though.
https://www.highend3d.com/maya/downlo...misc/3192.html

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 80 06-12-2007 , 03:57 PM
Ya gsters right using a decay is would be better. Using a max of one is only for linear.

# 81 06-12-2007 , 04:29 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Have you got the alpha working?

No, and I don't know why.

Originally posted by AnthonyCg
Glad I could help lol.
Ok maybe you can try this shader, but if you're looking for short render times don't bother. Still a good plugin to have though.
https://www.highend3d.com/maya/downlo...misc/3192.html

Thanks for the link, but at this point I've pretty much given up on the glass. user added image

Anyway, here's the update for today. I added a bump, the fresnel, and smoothed it out. I'm just getting sick of spending so much time making minor changes on this thing.

Any more C&C before I create the Finished topic and upload it to my site? user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 82 06-12-2007 , 04:39 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
You need to map that sky texture to a sphere and get some image based lighting going on.

Also, i read earlier in the thread, that you were having trouble with Alphas.... whats up?

Anyhow, your model looks really good. You just need to work on the lighting.

Keep on trucking user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 83 06-12-2007 , 04:44 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by Mayaniac
You need to map that sky texture to a sphere and get some image based lighting going on.

Also, i read earlier in the thread, that you were having trouble with Alphas.... whats up?

Anyhow, your model looks really good. You just need to work on the lighting.

Keep on trucking user added image

I do have an HDRI on there. I have no idea what's wrong with the alpha.

Lighting's definitely my downside. I need to learn Maxwell…… user added image

# 84 06-12-2007 , 07:36 PM
Youve got HDRI on there and the lighting etc etc I cant see it , it might be your hdr image is in the alpha.

On another note, please learn how to light before going to maxwell, it will make you look good, but its not you thats going to do it, its the software, you need to understand how and when before hitting what might seem the magick bullet.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 85 07-12-2007 , 10:21 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
On another note, please learn how to light before going to maxwell, it will make you look good, but its not you thats going to do it, its the software, you need to understand how and when before hitting what might seem the magick bullet.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was just joking above anyway. I'm just getting bored here as the holidays are coming. Well, I guess I can always delay the project and work on the lighting some more! :attn:

# 86 07-12-2007 , 01:59 PM
Environmentaly there isn't much going on, I dont know how to fix that. But The shading one the plane is great now, much more dynamic the fresnel did wonders and the glass effect is gone. Great work. As a side the colours seem very fresh like new paint, for realism altering them a bit may help.

# 87 19-12-2007 , 07:18 PM
Jr.Who
OK, I finally got back into Maya! Set up 4 lights this time (1 ambient, 3 directional).

Is this one better now? user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 88 19-12-2007 , 10:16 PM
Subscriber
for me it looks flat
take out the ambient as this lights all thighs evenly wiping out bump maps and maks models look flat

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 89 21-12-2007 , 03:27 PM
Jr.Who
OK, took out the ambient light and adjusted some of the others.

Attached Thumbnails
# 90 22-12-2007 , 08:30 AM
Subscriber
i like the propeller

how ever, the image is quite still, either give the plane some motion blur of give some to the background

the lighting is beeter but neeeds some work to match the environment, i also think there should be a bump on the wing.

i think there needs to be some shadows on the plane aswell

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973