Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 30-10-2008 , 01:01 AM

finished movie

Hi guys,
Sorry I don't stop by as much as I'd like but I'm here now and I want to announce the completeion of a movie I did some of the visual effects for. The movie is called Exile and it should be in the video stores next spring. I was responsible for the spaceships, outerspace shots, explosions and things like that.
I've only been doing CGI as a hobby for about 5 years and was lucky enough to do the effects on a sci-fi feature that may possibly be seen around the world. It goes to show that YOU CAN DO IT!!

Here is a link to the trailer for Exile

Exile

I accomplished 41 shots in 9 months. That included building the models. It was a challenging experience to say the least. I'm use to spending 6 weeks on a single shot but this time I was cranking them out as fast as I could.

# 2 30-10-2008 , 01:15 AM
Acid44
this was really good too but the close-ups of the space-ships werent too realistic user added image

# 3 30-10-2008 , 01:25 AM
Yeah, you're right. In the trailer, the shot that shows the engine being shot out is really bad. I actually re-rendered that shot but the one in the trailer is the original one..

There are a lot of space shots and most of them turned out pretty good..... It was a learning experience. One of the things I did that I should not have done is make the main ship reflective. The director asked for a smooth and shiney surface. Like a commercial airliner. I couldn't figure out why I could never get it to look quite right in the renders... After all the work was done and everything was rendered as well as I could, it dawned on me that I made the ships reflective but I didn't give them anything to reflect! :headbang: The star field was accomplished with particles and the only other objects in the scene were occasionally other spaceships.... Next time I'll do better.user added image

# 4 30-10-2008 , 01:45 AM
Acid44
lol, it still amazed me, i couldnt pull that off, did you do the effects for the green screen work too?user added image

# 5 30-10-2008 , 02:08 AM
Yes. I was given about a dozen greenscreen shots too. Mosty shots of the pilot looking out of the cockpit window at the planet they were going to crash land on. The shot in the trailer that shows the ship exploding was a greenscreen shot. The actor is running away as the enemy fighters approach to blow up his ship.

# 6 30-10-2008 , 02:20 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
TBH the film looks cack (not youre work but the film in general)
well done you though

# 7 30-10-2008 , 02:35 AM
Subscriber
elephant, it looks like a B movie, but doesn't look too bad.

# 8 30-10-2008 , 03:58 AM
It is a B movie. The guy who made it also made War of the Planets, The Awakening, and the Black Crystal.

# 9 30-10-2008 , 04:26 AM
Subscriber
I've always like these type of movies. You said this comes out next spring? Any set date? Is it going to theater or straight to video?

# 10 30-10-2008 , 04:54 AM
It is highly unlikely that it will go to th theaters.... At this time, there is no set release date. Those decisions will be made by the distributors starting in November.

# 11 30-10-2008 , 05:16 AM
Here are a few pictures that I can share with you guys.

Sun model used in the opening credit sequence for the movie
user added image

shuttle model (unpainted)
user added image
user added image

Painted
user added image
user added image

Fighter ship
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

a short video test clip showing a ship being smashed (1.9meg avi)

smash test

user added image

Last edited by Velusion; 30-10-2008 at 05:20 AM.