Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 91 20-04-2009 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber
Dango, your work is not in vein. Coming along very nicely!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 92 20-04-2009 , 08:54 PM
Subscriber
haha, dango, you should be honoured for mike to comment on your model, it means he likes it user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 93 20-04-2009 , 09:10 PM
yeah - this is looking mad! nice job dango - really loving this design. user added image

only one thing i'm not sure about - is how square the bottom left corner looks from the front. probably just me tho - i'm really loving the rest of the curves in the design and especially the asymmetry. user added image

# 94 20-04-2009 , 09:30 PM
Thanks everyone,

Tom, I'm glad people are appreciating it, I appreciate people taking the time to check it out and leave comments!

Chirone, I'm just happy that anyone's commenting on it at all!
But it is good to get a positive comment from the admin, and someone who works in the industry.
I am indeed honoured!

Arran, I agree about the bottom left corner being too squared off, but I'll be adding detail there soon so hopefully it'll sort that out a bit, I was trying my best to make it asymmetrical but still look right so I'm glad that seems to be working out!

# 95 23-04-2009 , 01:06 AM
Not posted anything for a few days as I've been doing a bit of studying, here's an update on what I have done though, and a link to the full screen version.

Full Size Mother Grubber

Attached Thumbnails
# 96 23-04-2009 , 01:47 AM
The Maya Mountain
lovely detail work!

Can't wait to see those textures. user added image

# 97 23-04-2009 , 01:54 AM
Thanks Mike!

No pressure or anything..lol!
I wasn't looking forward to the texturing but after what I've been looking into lately (UV mapping, displacements, bump etc) it's not seeming quite as bad as I'd first been thinking.

I'll do my best, that's the next step in my study regime after I've finished the modeling.Then I'll throw myself into it.
Which hopefully shouldn't be too far away!

Cheers for the kind words!

# 98 23-04-2009 , 02:34 AM
Subscriber
are you saying that the little panels on the front of the ship isn't a map of some sort?? user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 99 23-04-2009 , 02:52 AM
Subscriber
Very, very nice work Dango!! I love how you used the displacement maps on the front. The skin of the shp is impeccable. I also wait to see the job of texturing that you do. I am sure it will follow your modeling abilities!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 100 23-04-2009 , 02:53 AM
No no Chirone, it is!

That would be madness if it wasn't, I do like fiddling around but that's just too much to do, micro poly-nation would send my pc in a daze!

I should have said, "been looking into displacement maps, and here's some of the results so far", would have been a bit clearer of me.... Sorry!

Thanks Tom,
I'll do my best to follow my modeling efforts with some half decent texturing, have to do some uber studying on it quick time!

Last edited by Dango77; 23-04-2009 at 02:56 AM.
# 101 23-04-2009 , 06:28 PM
Another update, getting close to the texturing stage, and am looking forward to it!

Mother Grubber Large

Attached Thumbnails
# 102 23-04-2009 , 11:35 PM
Hello, some lovely work you've done! Great but i have some advices...

This geometry would not open on my pc with 2GB ram i'm sure user added image, so my point is that a lot of details could be saved and presented by texture and normal map. I've been reading alot recently about normal maps , texturing etc... i'm not good at those but i'm studing them now... So if you are making model try to be less geometrical and save some details with texture work and normal map... or bump or displacement...

KUTGW and wait to see more !!!

# 103 23-04-2009 , 11:50 PM
Subscriber
Mighty fine work as always Dango!

# 104 24-04-2009 , 12:08 AM
Thanks Tom!
Doing my best! Texturing to come very soon, I promise!

Coldwave:

I can understand what you are saying, but to be honest I'm only at just over 300,000 quads, so it's not really that memory busting at all.
And I have been using displacement maps, all of the panels and fine detailing are done that way, so not a problem there either!
Thanks for your comments though, they are all appreciated!

# 105 24-04-2009 , 01:51 AM
excellent dango! user added image