Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 03-07-2003 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber

pocket watch

I've decided to have a go at making a pocket watch but i'm a complete noobie at texturing and don't know how to make a texture to show all the numbers around the edge. Help plz.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-07-2003 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber

Re: pocket watch

Originally posted by ckyuk
I've decided to have a go at making a pocket watch but i'm a complete noobie at texturing and don't know how to make a texture to show all the numbers around the edge. Help plz.

you mean something like this? if not, i misunderstand the question. oh and dont take this as texture, it is not accurate, only a quick sketch.

Attached Images
# 3 04-07-2003 , 06:43 PM
Subscriber
yeah, i did this one but it didn't work for me.

Attached Images
# 4 04-07-2003 , 06:45 PM
Subscriber
but this happened

Attached Images
# 5 04-07-2003 , 06:55 PM
You can try either of these things:
1) After you apply the textures to your watch, select only the faces on the face of the watch, then apply the texture with the number to those faces only.
2) Apply the texture with the numbers as a stencil, layered on top of the watch texture.
3) Use the UV mapping to ensure you are really placing the texture where you want.

Hope it helps.

Sy
# 6 04-07-2003 , 07:08 PM
Subscriber
That one was done by selecting the top faces so does anyone know a good tutorial on how to apply them as a stencil?

# 7 04-07-2003 , 07:18 PM
Subscriber
Did you map the faces along the right axis? The planar mapping box has the option to map along the 3 different ones.

This site has some very good UV mapping tutorials- the rabbit one should get you going on the basics.

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=21

There's also a sword one and a monster head one. I found the rabbit most helpful in getting to grips with unwrapping and texturing though.

In terms of stenciling have you linked the file texture, shader and stencil together?

# 8 04-07-2003 , 07:36 PM
Subscriber
Thanks I'll download the rabbit tutorial sometime 2moro.

As for the stencilling I haven't done it as I don't know how.

# 9 04-07-2003 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
There is a fairly easy way to assign textures to a single face- you might want to try this (based on the assumption that is a poly cylinder btw).

I highly recommend the tut, as it shows you how to lay out the UVs for a whole object, but this is an easy basic way to assign the material for temp use.

First select the top face of your cylinder and go to

polygons/texture/planar mapping

and select the box next to the entry. You will see some options- change the direction of the mapping to the y axis as on the screenshot attached- that's because the top of your 'watch' lies along that axis and Maya needs to know which direction to make the textures in.

Select that then hit apply. A box will appear lying flat across the top of your cylinder. That's showing you where the textures are going.

If you then open the UV texture editor (window/uv texture editor) you will see those faces in the window. From there you can take a 'picture' of the face to your image editor to put the clockface on to ensure a perfect 'fit'.

Choose select/convert selection to Uvs (you don't need to lay anything out for mapping one face) then polygons UV snapshot. Save the image in the location of your choice and then open it in your image editor, paint on your clockface and save.

Then open the hypershade and create a new lambert by clicking on the lambert picture in the left window. Clicking on that new lambert (don't change lambert1 the default one) brings up some options- if you choose the box to the right of the colour bar you get some further options on assigning different materials to the lambert- choose to assign a file, browse for the clockface you created and select it.

You should now have a lambert material with your clockface on. Select the top faces on your cylinder and right click on the lambert and choose assign material to selection.

Attached Images
# 10 04-07-2003 , 08:09 PM
Subscriber
You can of course just assign the texture to the face without taking it to an image editor, but that requires more tweaking and I prefer to try for a 'fit' before moving things around.

Attached is a quick cylinder that I mapped and stuck a texture I quickly made up in photoshop and popped on a lambert just to show you what I mean;

(sorry for the long explanation, feel free to ignore me blathering on!)

As I said the tut is a good one as it show you how to map out the whole object. But this at least allows you to mess about with a few settings and explore what they do in advance of watching it.

Attached Images

Last edited by Witchy; 04-07-2003 at 08:12 PM.
# 11 04-07-2003 , 08:33 PM
Subscriber
The model still needs some work done to it but i've finaly got the face textured thanks to help from Witchy.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 04-07-2003 , 08:38 PM
Subscriber
I think I might turn this into a long term project incorporating the watch into a scene of an old dust covered desk with the watch as the focal piece surrounded by old leather bound books.

# 13 04-07-2003 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...

Last edited by strarup; 04-07-2003 at 09:17 PM.
# 14 04-07-2003 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, that'll be useful as I’ve got a idea for a short animation of the clock on the desk. I might draw up a storyboard for it tonight and post it tomorrow.

# 15 04-07-2003 , 10:10 PM
Subscriber
Here's a photo of the type of desk i've just started to model for the clock to go on only mine will be darker and covered in dust.

Attached Images