Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-01-2006 , 07:37 PM

Work area is greyed out, can't see grid unless zoomed in

I don't know what happened to my program, but when I start a new scene now, there is a grey field in there that hides my grid...

when I close in on an object, I get to see it, but by default it is all greyed out.

see attached image

and please help.

Last edited by fogriknar; 10-01-2006 at 04:27 AM.
# 2 08-01-2006 , 07:49 PM

here is the image

pic didn't attach

here it is

Attached Images
# 3 08-01-2006 , 07:55 PM
Subscriber
Within the viewport menu : View >>Camera attributes.
Get the far clip plane value "deeper".

At the very beginning I was upset by this parameter.
Now I really LOVE it user added image

Get the near clip plane to kinda higher value (like 1 unit e.g.), helps, when you get close to your mesh, to see inside, cause the near clip plane really hides what's between viewpoint and near clip (Same for far as you can notice). An alternative to the mesh display options.

Regards, Py.

# 4 09-01-2006 , 12:44 AM
Subscriber
Just for futur reference, dont label threads "SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!", it gives away in a drop dead second that you are a newb.

By the by, welcome to SM, you probably already made a thread on your ignition, but Im to lazy to look.

# 5 10-01-2006 , 04:19 AM

still need help

tried the advice here, but that isn't the issue.

When I open Maya, it is washed out grey...I have to zoom in so I can see my grid.

When I open it, the grid is not visible, but once I zoom further towards it, it appears. Like there is a grey curtain barring my vision or something.

Any ideas?

# 6 10-01-2006 , 04:27 AM
The Maya Mountain
As was mentioned, your camera's clipping planes need to be adjusted. More than likely, your scene is set to measurement units that your camera's clipping planes are not set to incorporate.

You can change the measurement units in the Preferences window under Settings.

Centimeter is the default, I believe.

# 7 10-01-2006 , 04:34 AM

THANKS

That worked perfectly. Don't know how that got changed, but it is back to normal now.

Cheers