Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 02-01-2008 , 12:26 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
UPDATE...... FINALLY :attn:

Well, over the last week we've had to reinstall our Computers, and reinstall all of the software, because our computers were simply just not doing it. We found a Virus on one, and the other just keeps blue Screening all the time....

So with all my time been spent away from Maya I've not been able to do any work on the Camaro. Now I've installed Maya on my computer (which can barely handle the Camaro scene.)
I've been able to pretty much finish up on all the modeling for this project.

Stuff Modeled since last Update:

Re-Build front Bumper!

Panelized the Rear end of the Camaro.

Practically rebuilt the Rims.

Built the Inner workings of the Wheels (brake Disks/Pads and all that garbage.) As well as Small Chevy Logs to mount on the Rims.

Built up the Rear Air intake.

Spent hours in PS learning how to create Disp maps from scratch. For the Tire Tread.

Built up the Gas Cap (In high detail)

Built the window wipers.

And some general tweaking!

Mostly stuff thats no to noticeable at a distance, but can make or brake a model..... or so I'm told!

Anyway, enough blabber.... Pics:

Wheel with Displacement map applied:

(needs some cleaning up!)

user added image

Base Wheel Wire:

user added image

Some Clay renders of the Car:

Note: You may not be able to see much difference between these renders and the last. Partly because I'm using the same render set up as before (if it works why not?)
And because most of the progress that has taken place is small and fine detailing, and fine tweaking.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Theres still some areas that i might like to refine some more, but I'm nearly ready to call the modeling complete, so that i can move onto the Texturing, and rendering aspect of the project.

Anyway, C&C more than welcome user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 32 14-01-2008 , 04:58 AM
TINY...LITTLE...UPDATE:

Well, I've only just been able to get onto the Maya Computer, about an hour ago, and it's really late so I've not got too much done, mostly cleaned up all the Seams, as I had a couple overlapping, and awkwardly placed edges. here and there.

Plus I got the side indicators/Blinkers done.

Also got the outer edges of the Rims Fixed, as there was a hole.

Anyway, heres some Pics:

There just View Port screen Grabs, as it's really late, and I don't want to wait for ages for the Renders, just to show you a tiny Update.

Wheel with Rim Fixed:

user added image

Front Fender/Bumper Seam Fixed:

user added image

Rear Fender/Bumper Fixed:

user added image

Well hopefully I've managed to work out most of the bugs with my mesh, and tomorrow I will begin Texturing.

Oh, and if the rear Fender/Bumper Seam seems a too tight, well it's not. If you look at Photos of the Camaro you will see that, this seam is practically invisible. user added image

C&C more than welcome!!..... Anybody???? user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 14-01-2008 at 05:02 AM.
# 33 14-01-2008 , 12:10 PM
dude lookin sweet just hanging out for a textured high res version of this

# 34 16-01-2008 , 06:00 AM
UPDATE:

Well, I've started the texturing process. I've set up a basic Studio Style, Render scene to test the textures.

I Still have allot more textures to create, and the studio style Render will most like, not be my final Render. I do plan on setting up some Funky Environment Scene, with HDRI and all that good stuff user added image

Well, heres some Renders of the texturing thus far:

Still a long way to go user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Well, More Updates coming soon!

C&C more than welcome! user added image

@anasasis: Thanks for your thoughts!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 35 16-01-2008 , 09:23 AM
Absolute nice, really really great job. but the background maybe can change as d-blue I think will be better then put background some words"create ...Time, Name, Software...." haha... congratulation!!!

user added image

# 36 16-01-2008 , 09:47 AM
Lifetime Member
Nice work so far , although the displacement on the tyres definately need s work.
Any chance of getting hold of that body shader? I really like it and a change of colour and it would work on treat on my model

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 37 16-01-2008 , 10:35 AM

Originally posted by lealar
Absolute nice, really really great job. but the background maybe can change as d-blue I think will be better then put background some words"create ...Time, Name, Software...." haha... congratulation!!!

user added image

Well thank you very much!
I used the clay colored background to add some warmth to the scene, and atmosphere. Also having a totally contradicting color in the scene really helps the reflections in the Paint stand out. If i was to use a Blue, the scene for one, would be very cold, and the blue would barely stand out in the reflections in the paint. user added image

As for naming/dating, and all that other info, i will most likely put that on the final render (which is a long way coming.)

Thanks again for the comment.

Originally posted by Jsprogg

Nice work so far , although the displacement on the tyres definately need s work.
Any chance of getting hold of that body shader? I really like it and a change of colour and it would work on treat on my model

Thanks for the comment, and yes the displacements sure could use some work.... I may have to even model the tire, and go about it that way. Just to get the desired results. Which is something i didn't want to have to do.... But, O'Well!

As for the paint. It's a Highly modified Mental Ray Node.
I would be more than happy to email you a Scene with the Material in. Just PM your Email Address user added image

Oh, and I'm using Maya 08, so I'm not sure if you will be able to open the scene, if your using an earlier version.... let me know!

Thanks again user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 38 16-01-2008 , 11:27 AM
Looking pretty good.

I think its the camera position that youve got but it on the 2nd render it makes the part where the door frame/windscreen frame meets the body look like it dosnt continue properly, although in the other renders it look fine, so its either the lighting position causing a high highlight on that area, or the camera angle.

I also reckon the shader could do with a tweek, as the fresnell effect looks a tad over done in the mid angles, it kinda goes form virtually no reflectivity to full without a nice ramp up to it if you get what I mean.

Also to iron out the look and get a better overall sense of the car In a studio render I would make the background white as the coloured backgorund kinda "taints" the look to it and gives a bit of a false impression of the specs.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 39 16-01-2008 , 11:57 AM

Originally posted by gster123
Looking pretty good.

I think its the camera position that youve got but it on the 2nd render it makes the part where the door frame/windscreen frame meets the body look like it dosnt continue properly, although in the other renders it look fine, so its either the lighting position causing a high highlight on that area, or the camera angle.

I also reckon the shader could do with a tweek, as the fresnell effect looks a tad over done in the mid angles, it kinda goes form virtually no reflectivity to full without a nice ramp up to it if you get what I mean.

Also to iron out the look and get a better overall sense of the car In a studio render I would make the background white as the coloured backgorund kinda "taints" the look to it and gives a bit of a false impression of the specs.

Thanks for your input!

About the seam on the front Bumper/Fender. That i believe is just the lighting and camera angle playing tricks on us. The actual model itself lines up perfectly (or as near to as possible) you can see this in the Clay Renders.

As for the 'lack' of reflections in the paint in certain areas, i believe this is because these areas have nothing to reflect.
The main area effected by this, is the roof. Which has nothing but the white camera backdrop to reflect.
I will be checking into all of these problems, and seeing if theres a problem with the shaders, or the Scene.

I will probably set up a white studio render scene at some point tonight. I simply put in the Orange as a test. These Renders are not very high quality. I will crank up the setting, and get some real Renders out when I've finalized all the shaders, and texture.

Again thanks for your input, it's most appreciated.

user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 40 16-01-2008 , 12:10 PM
Do you have it in an enclosed infinity curve asthis would help out in gettting the reflections going.

# 41 16-01-2008 , 12:29 PM

Originally posted by gster123
Do you have it in an enclosed infinity curve asthis would help out in gettting the reflections going.

An infinity curve?

I've never heard of such a thing user added image

I have the model sat on a bent, and smoothed plane at the moment.

I will most likely set up the Car inside a Torus, as this will give it the "Infinity curve" look!

I wouldn't mind knowing what that is by the way user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 42 16-01-2008 , 12:56 PM
This might help

https://www.computerarts.co.uk/__data...73_t_trade.pdf

An infinity curve is basicly like what you have but if you enclose it, say in a smoothed cube, you would get a nice curve to all the corners giveing a nice look to the "infinate" look to the scene. you can then bounce lights off planes etc to get nice reflections and control the specs etc.

# 43 17-01-2008 , 04:04 PM
Subscriber
this looks really great. i like the heard edges.

nice work. make some nice studio renders user added image

# 44 18-01-2008 , 04:24 AM
Subscriber
# 45 19-01-2008 , 11:01 AM
wow you did quite a bit. Im jealous of your texturing ability as ive never been able to get into it. Ive stopped working on mine when i started the rims(they werent hard just lost interest) and have been away. When you get a chance if you could send me your model ide like to compare it to what i have so far and see how you set up the texturing and lighting so far.

twisted_dragons_@hotmail.com

I think i might go finish my rims.