Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-06-2002 , 09:49 PM

Rendering in Maya

I am just starting out with the Maya PLE. I really like Maya so far. I am getting ready to buy Maya complete in the next week or 2. I was just wondering about one thing. I heard the rendering in Maya isn't very good. Some say it is slow, while others say the quality is just poor. My main goal with Maya is to make photorealistic images. I am not into the animation aspect at this time. I was wondering what the people here use for rendering. The research that I have done for alternatives has lead me to consider either a MayaMan-Entrophy combination or the Mental Ray for Maya plugin. Could somebody set me straight on this? Thanks,DefLep

# 2 13-06-2002 , 11:30 PM
Kevin
well I have used Mental Ray and its fantastic, thats the one I would go for! and your right...the worst thing about maya ..is its renderer! it pretty lame!

but if you got the cash mate them mentals the one imo!

# 3 14-06-2002 , 01:00 AM
SM Alumni
user added image

Now that isn't finished, but that's just the Maya renderer. Just a matter of taking the time to learn it user added image

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 4 14-06-2002 , 01:07 AM
Wow. Cool picture. Looks great. If that is considered poor quality, I'll take it. Thanks

Last edited by DefLep; 14-06-2002 at 01:36 AM.
# 5 14-06-2002 , 07:49 AM
Kevin
lol, yep its good, infact very nice, just compared to the rest of the programme the renderer is poor.

render that with mental and then you will see user added image

# 6 14-06-2002 , 06:34 PM
SM Alumni
Yeah, Mental Ray is sweet, but too many people knock the Maya renderer without ever really "using" it. Besides the renderer in XSI, which is Mental Ray, the renderer in Maya beats the others hands down. Problem is the default settings are terrible, it's slow, and takes some time to use it well. If you have the cash, the best bet is Mental Ray AND Renderman :p

Darkon

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 7 15-06-2002 , 02:29 AM
Thanks for your help.Both of you. Do you have more work I can see(with the Maya renderer)?.Thanks Again

# 8 15-06-2002 , 07:54 PM
SM Alumni
Ok, here's another unfinished scene (seems like most of my stuff fits in this category user added image ).

user added image

Darkon

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 9 15-06-2002 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
what are u lot tlkin about?
renderman is the way to go user added image

# 10 26-08-2002 , 05:44 AM
SM Alumni
Those look pretty good...

I think that I am going to try this renderman, and see what it is a ll about. Is it just a free download or do I have to buy it somewhere ? You guys have any links anywhere that I can find out more about it with ?

"You know you've done your job right when nobody notices"

"Don't quote me boy cause I ain't said sh*t"
# 11 26-08-2002 , 12:20 PM
Subscriber
it only costs about $8000 user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 12 10-09-2002 , 09:01 PM

or you could wait for this...

hey dude,
though www.splutterfish.com has just released brazil 1.0 for max i think they are going to be doing a maya version.you can do with the native maya renderer for the time being and if you really need another solution then by that time brazil may be ported.
b

# 13 10-09-2002 , 09:27 PM

Re: or you could wait for this...

Originally posted by boomji
hey dude,
though www.splutterfish.com has just released brazil 1.0 for max i think they are going to be doing a maya version.you can do with the native maya renderer for the time being and if you really need another solution then by that time brazil may be ported.
b

I was just about to say the SAME thinguser added image
Brazil is gonna ROCk on Maya from what I hear....

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 14 27-09-2002 , 01:42 PM
try Pixar Renderman Animation Studio, If you have seen Final Fantasy you'll know what I'm talking about

# 15 27-09-2002 , 05:16 PM
Subscriber
mayas native renderer is pretty good, no point in spending extra money on sumthing uve already got

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com