Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 09-04-2005 , 08:36 AM
Subscriber

Movie Reference

Hi!

I have a short quiktime clip of a friend of mine doing a funny walk. I was thinking about using this clip as a reference for an animation.

I know how to set up a image reference (imageplane). But is it possible to set up a movie clip as a reference, so that you can get the same timing when you animate, as in the clip?

Hope you understand what I mean
user added image

# 2 09-04-2005 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber
I have a way to do it.. Though haven't with quicktime yet. But its really ugly.. LOL so I will see if someone ansers with a smarter way to do it.

# 3 09-04-2005 , 04:24 PM
Subscriber
The first thing that comes to mind would be set a card (primitive plane) and apply it as an animated texture. At each frame you would have to specify which frame of the move to display though.

[Edit] Hey it worked on my pc with an AVI assigned to the image plane. After my initial post I checked the help files for rotoscoping, which is what you're trying do basically. I couldn't use MOV, but thats probably due to being on a PC.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 10-04-2005 at 01:10 AM.
# 4 09-04-2005 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for helping me but so far I can only import mpeg clips, avi doesn't seem to work? Don't know what I'm doing wrong?

This is how I do it:

Create nurbsplane, then I open up the Hypershade and click movie under 2d textures and assign texture's material to selection. In the File Attributes I open up the image name (the Mpeg clip).

Then I check: Use Fram Extention. I select Frame extension 1 and then hold right mouse button to set key (I have the auto keyframe on in the timelider). Then I go to frame 30 in the time slider and in the Frame extension I print 30, that's my last frame. Then set key.

This works fine, but so far only on Mpegs...

# 5 09-04-2005 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
Lol, I'm sorry, avi does work it was a wmv clip I tried to open.