Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-05-2004 , 11:29 PM

animation:Standing Jump

hey guys,
Heres my first shot at a standing jump using the packageman rig from goosh and Lluis.
Id like you guys to give it a good going over user added image

StandingJump(divx 160KB)
user added image

edit you need at least divx 5.1

Last edited by Nametag; 24-05-2004 at 12:18 AM.
# 2 23-05-2004 , 11:47 PM
Subscriber
huh.....I was like......ok.........THAT COOOOOOL!
I don't have any crits only than some good words....

nice work!

# 3 23-05-2004 , 11:48 PM
my divx does not play it user added image

I am in 10th grade, sophomore in high school, but if you don't take me serious, I'll make you.
# 4 24-05-2004 , 02:11 AM
Subscriber
hey man .. great start. .. atleast u can tell what he is doing user added image but i have a few issues with it. please dont take it that i am battering your animation. i'm not disney myself.

1. at the start u might want to anticipate him going up before having him go down. ( a bit of anticipation on top of anticipation)

2. i would break those joints a bit. (hands) they are way too straight throughout the animation. bend them a lil bit it will look more natural .. maybe u can read up on successive breaking of joints. (animation survival toolkit by richard williams) is the bible!

3. at the start when he is crouching down he seems to be a bit off balance.

4. when he is landing. you might want to put it in a straight contact pose. for more change within the action and to show the impact.

5. and i would work on the landing a bit. i feel its a bit unrealistic he needs to overshoot a bit or even step forward or something.

6. play with his spine a bit more.

thats all i can think of for now i'm a bit tired user added image .. again great start and keep it up man

user added image

# 5 24-05-2004 , 04:29 PM
Nice animation there Nametag!! user added image

-------------------------------------------
# 6 24-05-2004 , 06:12 PM
Thanks for the comments guys I really appriciate you taking time to reply to my thread and help me out. user added image
d0c: Awesome feedback! exactly what i was looking for. I totally agree with all your points. Im opening up maya right now so see what i can do with your feedback user added image
Ive only really been animating for about 1 month (since i posted a walkcycle on here was my 1st shot) but the animation survival toolkit by richard williams is the baby! Im just through reading the section on breaking joints and overlap so hopefully together with your comments ill post an update soon!
Cheers
user added image

# 7 25-05-2004 , 06:20 AM
nice work
keep going
user added image

# 8 25-05-2004 , 03:33 PM
Subscriber
Yeah I like it a lot, I think the style of animation is suited to the characters weight and centre of balance.

Top work

# 9 26-05-2004 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by foo1971
[B I think the style of animation is suited to the characters weight and centre of balance.

Top work [/B]

user added image

how so ..>?

# 10 29-05-2004 , 02:17 AM
Hey user added image
Heres another WIP on the jump, its still far from complete but i think its a slight improvement. ive been concentrating on anticipation on the takeoff and a better balanced landing.
As always comments / feedback would be greatuser added image

StandingJump(divx 870KB)

Thanks

# 11 29-05-2004 , 02:25 AM
Looks great!