Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 29-09-2004 , 08:41 PM

Graphics card

Hello Maya People!
I want to buy a new computer to run maya and I went to the alias site to see the graphics cards they reccommend and I like the dell workstation 670 with a 256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 3400, but it is expensive!
A 128MB PCIe x16 ATI FireGL V3100 would also work with Maya for a $1000 less. Do you guys think the Quadro is worth the extra money?

The priciest components seem to be Processor, RAM, and graphics card, how would you order the importance of these? Does a dual processor really make big difference?

Thank you so much!
Debrauser added image user added image

# 2 29-09-2004 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber
I used to use Nvida cards but these days it's ATI all the way.

# 3 29-09-2004 , 11:49 PM
Uhm, for dual processor it depends on what you're doing to my knowledge, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

Pixar Renderman (and complient unless the manufacture coded different to the standard) can only support 1 processor. Then again, you'll probably not be using PRMan, though its possible you'd be using one of the free equivalents like those available on sourceforge.net

Its actually quite funny, but what are you using your models for? Animation? If so, Premiere Pro (which I assume someone with the Maya Budget is going to spring for, or its competitors like Vegas (am not clear as to THAT pricetag though) requires as much RAM and Processor power as you'll give it. It will take a lot less time to render frame by frame than Maya, but I believe it was still a half hour render and conversion (which if its for AVI, I'd recommend BINK! as a converter, even if you only apply it to DivX, because apart from Cinepak Premiere messes up the picture quality) for a 4-5 minute video with no transitions.

Before I talk about what I heard -- is softmodding illegal, or just voids warrenty? I personally don't see it any different from sticking a NitrousOxide tank in a Civic -- but I don't want to be banned :b It could save you 100's of dollars if you don't care about warrenties though (and allow you to buy your parts from actually resellers, instead of marked-up bundles)

Ram -- pretty cheap -- just be careful with it. Don't run aggressive timings or anything (which although are 100% okay, its speed boost... or in some cases reduction... can cause instability which you don't want at frame 9023 :b) -- which you probably won't.

Any more information required, contact me at AOL: Ready9628 or MSN: privateer@myself.com (that's not my email though)