Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 226 11-10-2011 , 12:43 AM
It's all good. I just won't post anymore since I don't really use Maya. Figured since Leon and I shared many cande-lit romantic nights together in middle earth that I might be able to inhabit his thread. Don't wanna cause any problems. Later dudes...

# 227 11-10-2011 , 01:58 AM
Looking rad my man.

I am not bothered with you jumping on this thread at all matey as we are both working together on this now and is all cool with me. The only + to starting your own thread is people will be able to direct crit at you specifically. Nothing to say from my end though and think the proportions are looking spot on and that this method is gonna speed up our workflow tremendously.

Also I would not worry about posting work on here that is not specific to Maya. I know Kurt for one has threads which have a lot of zbrush work. He's base meshes are made in Maya but all the progress is in zbrush, people use the site as you would expect to answer questions and help improve the final with feedback and crits.

Damn a piece of me died every time we went out to eat when they lit one of those damn candles, and that music ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Also Njkc, cheers for your kind words and I totally agree, I will try to add a lot more muck to the textures on the characters as well as vehicles but what is there is mainly a final base which can be tweaked to give variation.
I will try to get back to this soon, have just been busy with other work at the moment and hope to be back on this next week.

Cheers guys,

Leon

# 228 11-10-2011 , 02:17 AM
Lifetime Member
Yeh Col...bang a new thread in man so we can see the work progress more...it looks bloody good mate....like the daintiness of the wrinkles dude...nicely done. You too Leon..always looking the biz!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 229 12-10-2011 , 05:13 PM

Been busy as have loads of models I need to create at the moment so my wolf project is gonna have to go on hold for a couple of weeks. Thought I would share one of the models that I am currently working on though.

Sweet holy hell.

Are you kidding me? This is outrageous. Well done!

Does everyone know how to do this lighting but me? How are you doing this gray-light set up? I am definitely checking out the tire tutorial.

I feel like such the newb I am. Great great stuff man.

Thanks,

Travis

# 230 12-10-2011 , 05:35 PM
Cheers Travis,

to get the renders I use mental ray and a physical sun set up.
1st goto window>settings and prefs>plug in manager now make sure Mayatomr.mll is checked. Now you need to open your render settings and make sure you are using mental ray. Next goto the indirect lighting tab in your render settings and hit the create option for physical sun and sky. You can now goto the quality tab and select production for a decent render, next in the features tab you will need to make sure final gather is checked. Only other option worth changing in here is under the common tab> enable color management.

This should now work fine but it is a good idea to adjust the gamma as the image can be pretty blown out. To do this you will need to open the hypershade and goto the utilities tab and select the mia exposure node. I tend to set the gamma to 1.333 but see what works for you.

If you have any questions or probs feel free to email me leondannylabyk@hotmail.com

Best of luck and hope this answers your question though.

# 231 12-10-2011 , 06:56 PM

Cheers Travis,

to get the renders I use mental ray and a physical sun set up.
1st goto window>settings and prefs>plug in manager now make sure Mayatomr.mll is checked. Now you need to open your render settings and make sure you are using mental ray. Next goto the indirect lighting tab in your render settings and hit the create option for physical sun and sky. You can now goto the quality tab and select production for a decent render, next in the features tab you will need to make sure final gather is checked. Only other option worth changing in here is under the common tab> enable color management.

This should now work fine but it is a good idea to adjust the gamma as the image can be pretty blown out. To do this you will need to open the hypershade and goto the utilities tab and select the mia exposure node. I tend to set the gamma to 1.333 but see what works for you.

If you have any questions or probs feel free to email me leondannylabyk@hotmail.com

Best of luck and hope this answers your question though.

Wow. Thank you so much. I will (to all). And thanks for the invitation of communication. i may actually do that just to bend your ear a bit on the software and the biz. Thanks again!!!

# 232 18-10-2011 , 05:26 PM
you are welcome Travis and feel free to drop me an email anytime.

Not really much in the way of progress as I have just been making sure everything is to scale with regard to chairs, controls etc. The vehicles and weapons are pretty much bang on but needed to make some minor adjustments to the seats and other bits and pieces. Character is fully rigged and ready to go and so I will try and get some decent animation together soon.

Here is a render with a lone soldier in the chinook.

user added image

# 233 18-10-2011 , 07:01 PM
been looking over some more images and still need to lower the seats a bit more and tweak the scale, I have a ref image with some marines kicking back though so will try and replicate it and get a render up tomorrow. If I have time I might get a still together with the hummer also.

Cheers

# 234 19-10-2011 , 11:38 AM
Couple of renders with things to scale. I really need to get portal lights sussed now so I can get more light into the interiors of these models from the physical sun set up. Will try to get them worked them out next.

user added image

user added image

Last edited by leonlabyk; 19-10-2011 at 11:40 AM.
# 235 21-10-2011 , 10:49 AM
The Nurb Herd

I tend to set the gamma to 1.333 but see what works for you.

Why do you set it to 1.333, shouldn't it be set to 0.454?

# 236 19-11-2011 , 11:36 AM
Just done a few extra parts for the M-4. Hopefully I will get this thing uvd and textured soon.

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 237 19-11-2011 , 12:31 PM
Subscriber
That looks cool Leon. I don't get the look though. I like it, but what material is that? Is that a contour shader of some sort?

# 238 19-11-2011 , 12:50 PM
Cheers Ben,

Yeah just a blinn using the contour option.

# 239 19-11-2011 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber
it works really well.

# 240 20-11-2011 , 05:12 PM
Just some turntables with a few of the models I have been working on.

Untitled on Vimeo