Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-03-2003 , 02:17 PM

Kurts Hapless challenge

Sorry for not being around last few days lot of puter problems and job talk.....

Meet BUCKY (AKA THE BEAVER) my villain... As a child buck was out camping with his family.. Unknown to the family the site they were camping was a illegal chemical dump.

One day buck was out swimming and happend to spot a large beaver swimming just a few yards away. Buck being a curious kid... he tried to swim up to it. This is where Buck's life turns for the worst. The beaver had been genetically altered by the chemicals and was one mean SOB.

As Buck started to get closer he realised the bever was 3 times the size it should be. Buck thought maybe swimmming up to this beaver was not such a good idea. Then it was to late to turn around....with a sound of the beaver's tail hitting the water the beaver was at Bucks legs bitting and nawing. Buck was screamming for his parents after the attack, and managed to swim back to camp some how where he collapsed.

Buck awoke in hospital a few days later. with some interesting changes. His front teeth had enlarged 3 fold, his skin had a leather feel to it, his fingers had become webbed, and his hair had became abit more corse.

After a few months, Bucks parents made him return to school, where of course he was teased and picked to no end. He was called Beaver boy, Buck tooth loser and was asked on a daily bases how much wood did he manage chuck that day.

Buck fell into a deep depression, it messed up his mind and feelings of good and became a evil boy bent on making everyone pay for what happend to him.

The reason he is a hapless villian is that he can not resist the urge to naw on anything made of wood. This really works against him and his efforts to be a villain.

To make an already long story shorter. Buck found out that he had a few super powers like being able to eat and chomp his way through anything as well as highten sences smell, and some super strenght.

Hope you like it , the back story just came off the top of my head.

Dont know if I will have time to finish this one...Have lots of work comming my way...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb

Last edited by Kurt; 20-03-2003 at 02:21 PM.
# 2 20-03-2003 , 02:43 PM
Looks really cool!! What is he made in SubD or Nurbs??
Animatio project or just still??
Cheers! user added image

Beauty is worse than wine, it intoxicates both the holder and beholder - Immermann"
# 3 20-03-2003 , 02:46 PM
Poly sub-ds mate.. just going to be a still if i get time to finish.... should be starting a job this week...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 4 20-03-2003 , 02:48 PM
Subscriber
Its really cool. But I would love to see the cheaks big like in the drawing and also the eyes big and terned some.

# 5 20-03-2003 , 02:54 PM
Thanks mate ... still pulling a lot of the face out.... Im going to make him into a red neck not with bare feet and over alls....

# 6 20-03-2003 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber
Hi Kurt,

Looking really good mate, I really like those arms, very realistic looking.

# 7 20-03-2003 , 03:36 PM
I think the kid looks great! MY only recomendation is to try to make the teeth more like the sketch. I think that they might be a little to symetrical. Looks Good!
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 8 20-03-2003 , 03:58 PM
Subscriber
Excellent stuff! Might his ears also have taken on a small rabbit like influence as well?

# 9 20-03-2003 , 08:28 PM
The Maya Mountain
looking good bud. user added image

# 10 20-03-2003 , 10:43 PM
Nice model, great arms and nice stylish hands. Great legs.

I have a few things tho:

1. The teeth dont look like it belongs to the model, maybe add some tapering to them and maybe a smaller jaw.

2. You seem to have a strange fold from the cheeks to the jaw.

3. The upper lip is a bit too fat IMHO.

4. Theres something about the nose that seems wrong too, but maybe its just because you still need to do some detailing.

5. The head doesn't seem to match the style of the arms or vice versa, but again that can still be lack of detailing. What I am specific reffering to is the damn nice vein you have on the arms and hands, that makes it really cool and stylish.. that stylishness seem to miss in his face.

6. The chest part looks too large, just a tad - making him having huge female dwarf breasts user added image .. ( ok I play too many roleplaying games hehehe )

I hope you can use the feedback.. looks very promissing.

Kindly

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 11 21-03-2003 , 08:03 PM
Lots of little tweaking happening played with the cheeks and add overalls to him. Hes starting to get a good personality

# 12 21-03-2003 , 08:12 PM
looks nice! Love the crease in the Pants! nice touch
Brian -

Please check
My (old) website!
# 13 24-03-2003 , 05:08 PM
very nice model indeed! but according to the reference image... is he gonna wear shoes??? if yes then i think you could have only modeled the shoes rather than feet? or may be u r planing to do some animation????? (takin his shoes of?)
excellent modelling though user added image

# 14 24-03-2003 , 05:38 PM
shoaib thanks mate. I had shoes on him but, I found that the shoes really didn't do anything for him... so I changed his shoes into feet and added over alls. He has much more personality now. I most likley wont have time to animate him so I just have a nice set and render out a nice still image.

# 15 25-03-2003 , 07:36 PM
oh cool... then i guess he is ready for the texturing... user added image nice goin...user added image