Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-04-2017 , 07:11 PM
Subscriber

How would you suggest I proceed?

Hello,

I’m experimenting with some architectural viz work and wanted to get you all’s suggestions on how to proceed with the roof and molding for my project.

I created a mediterranean style home and wanted to add the ceramic tile roof as well as some molding along the top edges. I downloaded some nice meshes but am wondering about the most efficient way to go about adding the details to my house

Molding: Came with a straight section and two inner/outer corner (90 degree angle) sections.
Question: The best option I’ve come up with is to delete the faces in the mesh that are too long in order to get the molding to fit along the border. I can’t help but assume there’s a more efficient (better) way of doing this. Hence the reason I’m asking..

Ceramic Tile Roof: Same problem here as with the molding.
Question: Do I simply go to face mode and delete the faces that are longer than the roof’s edge then move the remainder of the mesh in place.

*Note: When I scale either (roof or molding) the size simply looks strange when applied to the house. My goal is to get these detail elements to mimic the believable.

I couldn’t think of a better group to pose these questions to and thank you for any/all suggestions you throw my way. Thank you!!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by thawk127; 07-04-2017 at 07:14 PM.
# 2 07-04-2017 , 11:58 PM
Lifetime Member
You are correct in assuming you need to go to face mode and just start deleting and then cleaning up the geo. Sort of treat it like you would if you were actually building a house - not everything would be the exact size needed but you couldn't just scale things up or down, you'd need to cut and add sections.
For the roof tiles once you've cut them (and cleaned up the geo) you'll probably be putting some sort of ridge capping on the joins anyway as that's what a roof would have so you don't need to be too precious with your cleanup if it will be hidden (not saying leave it a mess with tris and stuff - just saying don't waste hours on it when it will be covered anyway)

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 3 08-04-2017 , 12:14 AM
Subscriber
Thanks MrYeti!
This is what I was assuming I would have to do. It would be cool (and I would pay) for a script that could miraculously do this for you :-)

# 4 08-04-2017 , 01:50 AM
Super Moderator
You could use a cube to lop off the excess molding with a boolean operation and clean up the result a bit. Concerning your scaling issues, my suggestion is check out references for object dimensions and use a consistent Maya units that way you won't have to do so much second guessing of proportions.

- Genny
# 5 09-04-2017 , 03:51 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Genny!
I never considered the boolean idea but will definitely give it a go. When you say consistent Maya units I'm assuming that you mean stick with centimeters, inches, feet, etc. which ever I start with (pertaining to the referenced objects I'm using)?

# 6 11-04-2017 , 06:16 AM
Super Moderator
Whatever unit you prefer. For example, I might model a dining set to toss into my asset library. It'll be in inches. Whatever scene I'll import it into will likely use inches as well so it automatically fits.

- Genny