Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-03-2011 , 05:21 AM
EduSciVis-er

You've got Maya on the brain...

Thought it would be funny to have a thread of stories where you realize you've got Maya on the brain, and start thinking about the real world in the wrong way... if that happens to anyone else.

I'll start: I was hanging up laundry the other day and my wife's got a shirt with I guess some sort of extra lapel across the front... anyway, I spent like 2 minutes trying to figure out how to turn it right side out, and finally I was like "Agh! This shirt's got non-manifold geometry!"user added image

...yeah... I guess you had to be there (in my head). Do better.

# 2 12-03-2011 , 07:57 AM
Acid44
LOL Nice one man! user added image

There's been tons of times when I've looked at things and tried to firuge out how the edge flow would be. Most recently was a few nights ago: While drinking I went for a walk to sober up, I saw a white Lamborghini Gallardo, which is one of my on going projects at the moment, and decided it would be a good idea to draw the edges on it. It wasn't a good idea. The guy came out of his house, was pretty mad, but didn't mind too much, he said it looked cool and he was getting it painted in the next week or so anyways user added image I got lucky lolol

# 3 12-03-2011 , 10:59 AM
Attended a life drawing class recentley (first traditional art in a long, long time) and whenever I made a mistake and wanted to back up, in my head I was hitting "ctrl-Z". I swear my pinkie and middle finger moved each time.

Too many long hours working with maya and various other apps at home/work. If only every mistake could be undone with a button press!

# 4 12-03-2011 , 01:16 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
aha cool thread.

Yep I have one to tell and its a regular of mine. Whilst sitting on the 'can' I tend to look at the floor tiles and see how they are cut at the corners with strange angles, chances are theres a five sider in there that I want to correct by adding loops to create quaded tiles!! Happens every time!!

Jay

# 5 12-03-2011 , 02:57 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

aha cool thread.

Yep I have one to tell and its a regular of mine. Whilst sitting on the 'can' I tend to look at the floor tiles and see how they are cut at the corners with strange angles, chances are theres a five sider in there that I want to correct by adding loops to create quaded tiles!! Happens every time!!

Jay

For a moment I thought you would make a dirty joke and started talking about the edgeflow of a turd.

Although I am interested in how stuff works and fits together, I am not thinking about edgeflow when I try to get drunk or when I am away from the computer ...I try to stay a bit sane...not saying you guys are crazy hahahah

# 6 12-03-2011 , 07:49 PM
EduSciVis-er
Hahaha, Acid, that cracked me up. And gubar, for sure I've tapped out a ctrl+z on paper before (just in fun though).

# 7 12-03-2011 , 09:16 PM
Similar experiences here with regards to looking for the "undo" button in non-computer activities and deconstructing real-life objects. As a designer by trade, the one thing that really affects me is Maya or Max' key + mouse combinations for panning, orbiting, etc....Sometimes I catch myself in dreamweaver, photoshop, Illustrator, etc. trying to use maya's mouse + key combinations to pan the screen...doesn't quite work. user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 8 12-03-2011 , 09:52 PM
Nothing too exciting from me but I often find myself in other apps trying to move around by using alt+mmb. I'm talking excel, word, picture viewers, gimp, you name it. Hard habit to break.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 9 12-03-2011 , 10:03 PM
The thin red line
I used to use lightwave in that you could mirror model I think all tools worked, ended up looking in the mirror shaving wondering why the other side was not getting shaved, that sounds sad...........dave

# 10 12-03-2011 , 10:21 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I had one the other week and was going to make a thread but I'd forgotten it until you mentioned the shaving one.
I remember thinking "Why am I shaving this side, I can just mirror the other side"
It took me much longer than it should have to realise my error..