Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 91 18-07-2013 , 12:16 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi I've just got Zbrush and I'm having a problem with masking. Watching a tutorial on the web the instructor does the following:

Creates a 3D plane and makes it a polymesh.
Activates symmetry in the X and Y on his plane. (So that he can draw from four points)
He selects a dragrect stroke and alpha 28.
Then he presses CTRL and drags from the centre of the plane and makes a square mask inside it.

However when I do that when I press CTRL it changes my stroke from dragrect to freehand.

The tutorial is done in 3.1 and I am using 4R6.

How can I stop this happening?

Attached Thumbnails
# 92 18-07-2013 , 05:24 AM
Lifetime Member
DONT select symmetry...doesnt work. HOLD CTRL key down then change the values for the mask tool in the top left (if you have that docked)....try that mate, worked for me user added image

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 93 18-07-2013 , 06:32 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Bullet, It worked perfectly the way you said. The reason I had symmetry selected was so that I could find the center of the image plane easily. Changing the settings of the mask whilst holding CTRL works with or without symmetry selected so I'm happy.user added image

Cheers Mr Yeti

# 94 06-08-2013 , 09:25 PM
Lifetime Member
Got another question. I've done my modelling in zbrush and changed my character quite drastically. How do these changes get back to my character in maya? Do I have to somehow be reimporting this into maya to do my rendering on?

Cheers the Yeti

# 95 09-08-2013 , 01:29 AM
Lifetime Member
Hmmm, tricky question. Anyone have any ideas how to do this?

I'm starting to think that I need to use the plugin GoZ, does this sound right?

Cheers the Yeti

# 96 15-08-2013 , 07:11 PM
Thanks for the mudbox referral.

# 97 15-08-2013 , 08:47 PM

Got another question. I've done my modelling in zbrush and changed my character quite drastically. How do these changes get back to my character in maya? Do I have to somehow be reimporting this into maya to do my rendering on?

Cheers the Yeti

Hi,

you need to export a displacement map (or normal map) and base level geo from maya , and you'll see the effects at render time.

I'd link you to some tutorials, but couldn't find any for up to date versions of maya/zbrush - it's my understanding that some fundamentals may have changed (alpha offset in maya?).

I haven't rendered anyting in maya for ages, hopefully someone else will chip in.

cheers

gubar

# 98 15-08-2013 , 09:29 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi Gubar, thanks for the advice. Jay pointed out (via my work in progress post) that I needed to export an obj file back out of zbrush like you said, and that fixed my problem.

You can see my Alien Character WIP to check out my final renders.

Thanks, the Yeti.

# 99 06-01-2017 , 05:44 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Okay....

If you create a mesh in Maya and then zbrush it, you should and ideally replace it with the zbrush one, do this via a blendshape or transfer attributes to shrink wrap the verts. Obviously output an OBJ for this.

If you have used the rebuild topology command the blend shape option will not work as the point order will get reordered in Zbrush and will make a mess of your model in Maya.

Creating a displacement map will not help the changes to the base mesh as the mesh will get pulled around significantly during the sculpt, uvs are also affected and will need adjusting in maya. Any changes to the base mesh must be taken into consideration first, then once you start creating maps the result will be far more accurate and what you would expect to see

hope that helps

Jay