Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 136 01-11-2009 , 12:08 AM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
hey cory, saw u on xsibase :p

the head looks good like i said.

corners of the mouth, and the eye tear ducts, those are hard to get right. but your topo is clean enough. nice work. where the earlobe meets the jaw line could use some tweaking too.

cheers

level 3 luchador!

image dump
# 137 01-11-2009 , 12:28 AM
Hey Septopus,

Sorry I hadn't replied on xsibase yet, but thank you very much for the suggestions on the mesh as well as the tips on good maya forums! Although I'm still not super happy with the way the the mesh around the ear, I think it looks decent.

user added image

Thanks again,

Cory

# 138 01-11-2009 , 01:57 AM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
the ear itself looks good. but where it meets the jaw may not deform right. i can tell,

there's a few wireframe templates in this thread u could use as ref

level 3 luchador!

image dump
# 139 03-01-2010 , 10:34 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
wow I actually have time to examine a mesh....

Cory:

Yeah the mesh is looking good. the only thing for me is the pole just off to the side of the nose on the upper cheek. I tend to stick mine more toward the side of the cheek as the area doesnt deform in a 'micro' way - unless I can eliminate it altogether. the rest is good, perhaps a few tweaks near the lip corners too jsut to give it some more meat

Cheers
jay

# 140 15-11-2010 , 11:18 PM
Lifetime Member
Was going to start a thread in WIP for my Vegeta. But as my main problem (at this stage) is topology going to post here too.

I know tri's and poles and 5 sided polys are bad. I just dont get how to fix it (I cut those 5 sided polys in half and end up with a quad and a tri) Heres vegetas Upper half.

To pre-empt suggestions about his hair line, I AM going to extract his hair, his gloves, his chest armor and his boots. - Just havent yet. It's all one mesh ATM.

Attached Thumbnails
# 141 16-11-2010 , 12:47 AM
Lifetime Member
My biggest problem is when i try to add creases, am I supposed to be keeping a nice even base mesh with equal sized quads and then take my .obj into something like Zbrush to add muscular definition and hard creases around the nose and such? or am I nearly doing it sort of right?

Attached Thumbnails
# 142 06-12-2010 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber

Human female

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get a few CNC's with this model. I'm at the refining stage and could definitely use a few pointers.

Attached Thumbnails

~To create a new world through the imagination

Last edited by CGWolfgang; 06-12-2010 at 08:27 AM.
# 143 04-01-2011 , 05:06 AM
Technical Director

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get a few CNC's with this model. I'm at the refining stage and could definitely use a few pointers.

Hi Wolfgang. It looks pretty good. The topology needs a bit of work though. See my paintover. I've also made a list of the little things that look a bit "off" to me.

user added image

1. Jaw line needs to be more pronounced.
2. Cheek bone needs to be better defined. You also have a little crease just above the end of the green line I've painted.
3. Eyelids! Most beginners leave them out. Don't!
4. Put in the tear ducts.
5. The ala is too sharp. (https://tinyurl.com/39rr4gp) The ball of the nose should also be more pronounced.
6. There is a slight line here caused by the frontal bone of the skull (https://tinyurl.com/3yvah2f)
7. The contour of the head should be changed slightly. The area beside the eyes needs to be move back. This will also make the eyebrows be more pronounced.
8. Laugh-lines. These should be very subtly added in, as they can cause your character to look old!

As I said, it looks good. Just some nit-picking user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 144 04-01-2011 , 06:38 PM
Hy guys, this is the topology that i use on most of my characters, here i have a next gen character that i finished on the left and on the right is the high rez version of that character.

Attached Thumbnails

Using the latest version of Maya!!!!
My ultimate goal is perfection!!!!
# 145 12-01-2011 , 10:04 PM
I just started my first organic modeling project and then I found this thread, perfect user added image
anyway here it is. I decided to start with a cartoony face because I thought it would be an easyer start.

Attached Thumbnails
# 146 13-01-2011 , 07:50 AM
Excellent Joni Giuro, very very clean. The polys on the side of the head are there too for an ear.....good stuff

Jay

# 147 29-03-2011 , 10:52 AM
What is the easiest poly shapes to use to start the head?

# 148 29-03-2011 , 11:32 AM
Its preference at the end of the day, I personally start with a cube

J

# 149 29-03-2011 , 11:43 AM
Thanks Jay

# 150 06-04-2011 , 02:40 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Jay for opening this thread. I didn't realy know how to start modeling a head but this gives a little more insight. So I started with a male human head last night because i am also entering the Lopoly gamecharacter contest. This is what i got so far. Its a little ruff still but maybe you coulde give some pointers.

user added image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us